New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Camry 98 V6: Check engine light goes away after starting the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Exclamation Camry 98 V6: Check engine light goes away after starting the car

I have 98 Camry v6 having 143k miles on it. About a month back, the car started jerking (reversing/going forward at low speed) when the engine is cold. After running a few miles, it starts running smooth. Sometime, on the traffic signal, it acts like this too. Also while merging into the traffic on the freeways, it jerks again while speeding up. There is no check engine light at all.

Front spark plugs got changed around 100k and back ones at around 130k at the time when I changed the timing belt and water pump.

I took the car to the mechanic, he inspected and told me that there is nothing wrong except some cylinder is missing and keep driving.

This bothered me and I did online research and found that spark plug wires could be the problem for jerks. Then I changed myself the spark plug boots and wires myself (bought autolite brand from advanced auto), because they were changed around 70k miles last time.

As a result, my jerking problem went away. Now check engine light comes when the key is turned to "Acc" and car is not started. Once I start the car, check engine light goes away.

Can someone please let me know why this is happening how to get rid of this check engine light? Any help will be highly appreciated!

Please let me know if you I missed any information.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Are you stating the check light never came on before?

Would only be concerned if the light stays on, comes on when driving or flashes.

The car is ODBII compliant, you can check for any codes. Many auto parts stores will do this for free.