New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Cruise control doesn't turn on 99' Camry Le

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 01:16 PM
Exclamation Cruise control doesn't turn on 99' Camry Le

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry LE and the green cruise control light on the stok/switch won't turn on, hence the cruise control doesn't work. Here's some of the troubleshooting steps I've done so far;

- Did not have a Cruise Control ECU, purchased a "B" type and plugged in, no success
- Checked with a test light if power was going to the ECU, stock/switch and actuator, no power on any single wire, port, or terminal
- Checked STOP, ECU, and all the cars fuses inside the fuse box on the lower left of dash. All were good.

Car does not have ABS or traction control.

Since there's no power going to any of the components, what should the next troubleshooting step be? Anyone else run into this issue where the little green light wont turn on at all?

Actuator wires and config. No power to any of them at all.

The ECU for cruise control currently hooked up to the vehicle.

Old 09-15-2023, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Did the cruise on the car ever work at one time?

Normally the dash has the cruise "ON" indicator light.

Gauge fuse supplies power. The power routes through the clutch switch or Park/Neutral switch to cut off power.

ECU-IG and Stop fuses.

Old 09-16-2023, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Did the cruise on the car ever work at one time?

Gauge fuse supplies power. The power routes through the clutch switch or Park/Neutral switch to cut off power.

ECU-IG and Stop fuses.
I bought the car 6 months ago and the cruise has never worked nor has the dash light for cruise control indicator

Gauge fuse is working properly. If the Neutral Safety Switch was faulty would this cause the cruise control to not turn on?

Everything else works properly on this car; brake lights, reverse lights, horn, no other lights are on the dash.

I know there are a lot of different components to a cruise control system, just trying to see what component to look at first, then second, etc. along with how to troubleshoot.

Last edited by Branstep653; 09-16-2023 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-16-2023, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Is this a car built for the US market?

Did the car come with factory cruise control?

Toyota has a website to download an owner’s manual. Find the owner’s manual for your car. The US cars have a cruise control indicator light on the instrument panel. Know nothing about a cruise light on the cruise control handle.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/resour...owners-manuals

Determine if the car has the cruise control actuator.

The cruise control system design manually controls the throttle cable position to set the desired speed. This is done with a mechanical vacuum powered device installed on the throttle cable between the gas pedal and throttle body. The throttle cable from the pedal goes to the cruise control device. Then another cable goes to the throttle body.
Find the throttle cable at the throttle body and follow it to the cruise control box (if installed). The box has black plastic cover which can be easily removed. A wiring cable plugs into the box plus a small vacuum hose.

See private message.

Old 09-16-2023, 12:05 PM

I mistyped, the trim line is a CE not LE as I typed in the thread title. I'm wondering now if it's an US model as there was no ECU for the cruise control to begin with. There was a hook-up for it but no actual ECU. There is an acutator as shown in the pictures in the previous thread.

Looking at the manual, it shows the cruise control switch on the right side of the steering column, mine is on the left side of the steering column with a green light. I'm unaware if there's a cruise control light on the dash.

Did the CE trim line come with the cruise control option??

Old 09-16-2023, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know.

The CE model was the bare bones Camry. Info as presented by websites as below state the next model step (LE) had cruise control.

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/1999-To..._Sedan/review/

If not equipped with a feature, Toyota could still have wiring, etc. but not include things like a fuse holder that was actually wired up.

Could the control be aftermarket installed, see link below? This unit has a green light on the control. If aftermarket one might be able to get it to work if being able to find the manual.

https://www.thecruisecontrolstore.co...iABEgK1K_D_BwE

Old 01-08-2024, 11:46 AM

Last edited by AshleyCovingto; 01-08-2024 at 12:36 PM.