New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

doors locked even with keyfob in car

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 12:31 AM
Default doors locked even with keyfob in car

Hi all!'
Just curious about something that happened to my wife and I the other night.
While I was in paying for our dinner, my wife went out to the car (2014 Camry, XLE) to warm it up. She had the key fob in her purse and she jumped into the passengers seat. She couldn't reach over to start the vehicle so she got out of the car and walked over to the driver's side and in that short time frame the doors locked, even though the key fob was still inside the car which was inside her purse.
Given this little bit of information, can anyone tell me why this would have happened? The key was in her purse when she went out to the car, was able to open the door without having to take the key fob out of her purse, but it wasn't enough to keep the doors unlocked in the 15 seconds it took to walk from the passenger's side to the driver's side.

I'm confused. I thought the doors don't lock with the key fob inside the vehicle. I guess i will have to search through the manual to see if there i something we can program to prevent this from happening again...if it is possible.

thanks in advance

Old 12-24-2017, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Its possible the cars locking computer has a problem.

Any chance the FOB button was pressed?

Read owners manual on door locks. Determine if it mentions anything about door locks automatically re-locking under certain circumstances. This is possible.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Default Toyomoho

Thank you for your response to my "plight".
I changed the battery in my one fob and when I repeated the steps from the time the doors locked when the keys were inside the vehicle, the doors did not lock. But when i used the other set of keys (fob) and left them in the car, the doors locked immediately upon closing the door. I haven't changed the battery in the second set of keys but ill do that soon. The doors locked within mere seconds when i closed the door.
The steps I took initially when the door locked were I used the remote starter to start the vehicle. When I unlocked the door (using the door handle) to open it, I dropped my bag with the keys in it, closed the door, and then went to unplug the block heater. It must have locked immediately as well, and then of course I am locked out completely.
Anyways, I will try the other set once I have replaced the battery.
As for the cars locking computer goes I will have to bring it in to Toyota to see what they can find.

Again, I appreciate the time you took to respond to my post.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Supposedly the car will not self lock itself if the FOB is inside the car. Unless the car is moving, etc.

The cars locking computer will need to know the FOB is inside the car but receiving a signal from it. Is it possible something in the bag was blocking the signal?

Also if you have two FOB's near the car, this could cause issues. If testing FOB's have one away from the car. How far perhaps 20 ft.

There is something about if the door is locked, then unlocked, it may then lock itself.

Might have the dealer explain when/if the car will self lock. The lock computer can be programmed but the programming options are not widely known to public.

Meantime keep FOB or a key on person.