New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

First time ;)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Default First time ;)

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, so HI I'm Adam and I have a Camry..I believe a VDV10, anyways, the widebody 1997 3VZ Manual. Awesome car and certainly did not expect to be wow'd when I bought it.. these things fly!

I have a question which I thought you guys might be able to help with also.

I have a new set of Shockers to slap in.. wondering if this is a do-able thing on the Camry in question..

Also need to replace a bush in the rear sway i believe the mechanic said last time it was there.. and it certainly sounds like it

Anyways.. look forward to chatting guys.. any help on this would be awesome!

Adam

Old 05-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF!

You should be able to change the struts yourself. You will need a spring compressor.

Rear upper strut mount access requires removing the rear seat, then rear deck.

The rear sway bar bushings are easy to replace. You will need to lift the car up or remove the tire. A couple of bolts hold the bushing bracket on. There were a couple of different diameter sway bars used to make sure you get the right diameter bushing.

The AutoZone website might have info on both these repairs in the vehicle repair guides.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:21 PM

Nice! Thanks Joey appreciate the helpful hints, what sort of time would you allow for a first timer.. I mean i work on my other cars pretty regularly but hvaent played with this one yet.. also gotta do the plugs which is not that fun apparently.. Need to get all new gaskets i guess.. though in saying that, the rocker covers need to be done anyways.. hmm

Adam

Old 05-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

I would allow a Saturday for the struts. It is a straight forward job but if the first time no need to rush.

Take note of how the upper strut mounts are installed (put a mark across the mount and chassis) and reinstall in the same orientation.

The front upper mount is two piece and contains a thrust bearing, so take note of how it is put together.

Make sure everything is oriented OK upon reassemble. The strut rod has notch to prevent it from turning when you tighten the nut that holds everything together.

Thus before taken something apart, make sure you can reassemble it the same way.

Depending on the year of car you may need to disconnect the sway bar link from the strut. Loosen the two large bolts holding the strut to the knuckle before taking the nuts off the strut mount.

Do them in pairs, front, rear.

Also check the strut boots for tearing. You can do this when they are on the car and thus obtain replacements if needed.

The rear struts require removing the rear deck.

You need to pull out the complete rear seat, then the deck.

Easy job if the bolts are not frozen. Sometimes reinstalling the bushing, bushing mount plus bolting it to the chassis takes several tries. Plan on an hour for the first one, then you will know how its done.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:21 AM

Thanks again, you're a legend.. hey do you know if all these parts are readily available at local auto stores if they are required? Im in Australia/Melbourne, not sure where you are.

Thanks heaps

Adam