New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

I really F***ed up

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:01 AM
Default I really F***ed up

What I did is really embarrassing for me to admit, and I guess I should have known better. Basically about 6 months ago I had purchased a used 2008 Camry SE with the 4 cylinder.

Well, yesterday (7-7-14) it was time to change the oil. Instead of taking it to the dealer like usual, I thought I would attempt changing my oil for the first time.. Well ,I really did fu** up my camry I think. -I should have just taken it to the dealer.

I first started out by going for a quick 10 minute drive a couple hours ago, to get the oil nice and warm. Came back home, and drove the camry up on these rhino ramps I had purchased. Popped the hood open, and unscrewed the oil fill cap. So I go to drain the oil, and everything goes well. Now, a friend of mine who used to be a mechanic, told me a while back that when you drain oil, not all of the oil gets drained out. He told me drain the oil and take out the oil filter. But when it comes to a drip, to start the car to get the remaining oil out. This is where I think I really fu**ed up. I did go to start the car up after the oil started to drip, and it sounded absolutely terrible. It ran for about 15 seconds before a lot of smoke started coming from the oil fill hole, and then the engine shut off.

This is where I am currently. I do not know what to do. I am not going to work on my car at this moment. I will try again in the morning. But what should I do? Should I just add oil and then start it? Should I have it towed to the dealer? Did I damage my engine by doing this? I really do hope this problem can be resolved. I haven't even had my camry for a full year yet. Maybe I should not change my oil myself in the future.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Everyone screws from time to time, that's called being human.

If you had the oil filler cap off, oil will blow out if engine running.

Your engine may or not be damaged. Some engine items can rattle if not having oil but be OK when oil returns. However if engine is damaged there is nothing that can be done other then take engine apart or replace it. As such you have nothing to lose in trying a few things.

The dealer would turn over engine with ign disabled to prevent starting. Don't RUN the engine without oil. If the engine turned over normally they will refill with oil and start it up.

If when turning over with starter the engine dragged or sounded terrible, they may investigate further or state the engine is finished.

You can remove the INJ fuse to disable ign. Location is in a fuse box behind drivers side ash tray on dash. The owners manual may have something on this. Once fuse removed, crank engine over and determine what happens. If for some strange reason, engine still starts, turn it off immediately.

If all seems OK, reinstall filter and fill with oil, then start engine and determine what happens.

When installing filter make sure the tube that goes into the filter has not broken off. It can break if the filter can is moved sideways during removal.

Be sure to put the drain plug back into the filter can, etc. Then fill with proper amount of oil and install oil filler cap. If cap is off and engine running, all oil will eventually blow out. Manually push car off ramps to have it level when starting.

With fuse still removed, crank engine for 10 seconds to prime oil pump. Then reinstall fuse and start it up. Engine might make rattle noise for a FEW seconds as oil flows to certain parts. If all OK, then let engine run.

If engine sounds and runs terrible for more then a minute, stop engine.

If engine runs normally then you have done the best you can. Some damage may have been done which may show up in increased oil consumption.

The alternative to the above is to take the engine apart which is of course expensive or find another one.

Post back with findings.

Although less likely, those quick and fast oil places also screw up.

You just need to get the procedures up front for repairs.

Stop kicking yourself, at can always be worse.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:47 PM

Ok. Update on what happened. I didn't want to touch anything and risk damaging my camry even more. I ended up having my Toyota towed to my usual Toyota dealer. I explained to the service advisor what I had done, and the problem I'm now having with it. Aside from the service advisor thinking i'm stupid, he said they will take a look and try to diagnose the problem and attempt to resolve it. I was informed however that theres a very high possiblity that I may have permanently damaged my engine because I started it after draining the oil.
I cannot believe this is happening. Of course this happens the one time I try to do maintenance on my own car.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Post back with the dealer findings.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Exclamation No oil

Dear Sir,
I am so sorry that happened to you! I think your "friend" (if he still is) owes you a new motor. I have to admit, I have NEVER heard of that advise. I hope they're able to save your motor.
In the past I have changed my oil, then asked my wife to get in, "turn the key on, DO NOT START IT!" just to let it roll off the ramp, and I'll be dadgum if she doesnt start it up, that's happened a couple of times... and she doesnt understand why I get so mad!

Hope you get good news! Rick

Old 07-12-2014, 04:47 AM
Default Thanks a ****ing lot Jonathan

My "used to be" friend (Jonathan Orile) is lucky he doesn't live in the same state I do. I would beat the living shi* out of him if he did. I'm really not in the mood to recite the full story on what happened, so I'll give you a 4 word summary. My Camry Is ****ed. Done. I am NOT replacing the engine. NOT worth it.

On the bright side, maybe I'll see if I can purchase the updated 2015 camry.. If not, I may just purchase a 2010 Camry SE with the V-6. They shouldn't be too expensive used. Especially if I can get one with high mileage. Which is totally fine with me.. Its a Toyota.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear your Camry is toast. I think the SE with the V6 is a wise and fun choice.