New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

probelms starting '97 camry (after beinr rearended)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Default probelms starting '97 camry (after beinr rearended)

I need some help. I have a 1997 v6 Camry. Yesterday morning it was rearened while it was parked. The lady who hit it was nice enough to leave a note. She moved the car atleast 4 feet, but there is no visible damage. After looking around the car I got in it thinking all is fine. When I got in it I noticed her impact had managed to pop open the ash tray and the change in the tray had flown onto the middle tansmission console. When I tried to start the car, nothing. All of the electicals came on but the starter did not even try to turn. All I get is a slightly audible buzzing sound when I turn the ignition. I tried to "jump" in hopes that my battery had just gone flat and the hit was coincidental. Then I unhooked the battery in hopes that something hadto be "reset." I got the same result (after, of cousre putting the batter back in). Then I reset the alarm, hoping it had disengaged the ignition. Still just the buzz. My last ditch effort was to let the car role backwards a few feet in hopes it would "unstick" something. Again, all I got was the buzz. I checked under the hood again and a tube from underneth the front cam to the right before the intake had come loose on the intake side. I reconnected it, but no dice. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this has caused my starter to not want to turn? The care has over 225,000 miles and have never given me any trouble.
thanks for you advice in advance...

Old 06-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: probelms starting '97 camry (after beinr rearended)

The buzz may be the starter relay, located inside a plastic box in the engine compartment.

Might check the battery cables/terminals at both ends for corrosion, damage, etc. If you have jumper cables if you can try jumping the starter at the starter motor itself.

Do not think there is any Toyota safety switch the kicks out in case of accident in the engine starter circuit (unless some kind of strange alarm system).

Old 06-06-2008, 01:13 PM

as far as your accident, you could have broke a electrical connection of some kind that took 3 days to 'separate' or loose and now you have to find what it was. Try removing the push button and have a new ignition switch installed. It will be a lot cheaper then spending the time and money for parts and labor to have it done the way you are. Good Luck.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:32 AM

thanks for your helping, I hope you might solve this problem.