New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Remote start hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:32 AM
DrD
Default Remote start hybrid

Hello all, I'm negotiating the purchase of a 2008 hybrid.

My question is, what is the benefit of remote start? The gas engine won't start anyway, right? Does remote start allow the climate control, running off batteries, to heat/cool the car before you enter? Does the gas engine come on using remote start, or does the car just "turn on?"

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:12 AM
Default RE: Remote start hybrid

Remote start does start the engine. In fact, it let's you start it from a distance; hence, remote.

You have to stick the key in before you can drive it which prevents someone from making off with your vehicle after you've remotely started it.

Here's the description from Toyota's website for Camry accessories:

"
document.write(bodytext);The all new Remote Engine Start (RES) provides the ultimate in convenience by allowing you to start or shut off your car from up to 80 feet away."

Old 12-01-2007, 05:34 PM
DrD

Well, I was asking specifically about the Hybrid, 2008. on that model, the gas engine does not start when you begin operating the car, rather it uses the electric motor, until you are going about 15mph, then the gas engine turns on. also, when you stop at a light, the gas engine shuts off. Thus in normal operation, the gas engine would NOT be on in your garage while the car is "idling."

also, it uses a smart key system, with a push button start, so there is no key to insert.

so you see what this is not a silly question, it is really unclear to me exactly what the remote start does in a hybrid, considering that "normal" start does not activate the gas engine.

anyway, the question is moot, since I ordered my vehicle without the rmote start. (the dealer couldn't really explain to me what it does in the hybrid either.)

Old 08-20-2008, 02:26 PM

the only thing it does is allow you to cool or heat the car IF you remember to preset the A/C - Heat controls before exiting.

and yes the gas motor does start, about 20 seconds after the car "turns on" ESP if the A/C is on, as the motor needs to charge the batteries..

I have it on my 300C Hemi, and for a gas motor only car it makes a little more sense warm up the motor on cold days, on the wifes Camry Hybrid, we have found it to be pretty useless.. though it is nice if she remembers to set the A/C controls, to have the car cooled off prior to entering it, esp if it is 100 degrees outside..