New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

simple fuse installation gone wrong 2004 camry

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 02:24 AM
Default simple fuse installation gone wrong 2004 camry

Ahoy everyone, new here. I apologize if im posting in the wrong section. I have an 04 4i camry. 2nd camry ive owned. Little bit about me, I am a welder by trade and fairly good with navigating machinery.I know my tools very well. My Experience in Automotive is one of necessity with the exception being the camaro my father and l built in my late teens. Typically I'd learn how to do repairs beyond standard maintenance as they arose.

Recently the power port under the center console stopped working. Naturally the first thing I do is pop off the interior fuse panel door. Find the suspected fuses location and pull it. Sure enough the 15amp fuse is kaput. Swap it out, check the power port and problem solved........? o.O

Or so I thought, at the time the driver and passenger window were rolled down. The driver works fine. The passenger however is stuck down and completely unresponsive. No motor sounds, neither the passenger side or driverside switches do anything.

I checked and double checked the fuses and made sure they were seated correctly and weren't blown.
Disconnected the battery and waited 20min before reconnecting it.
I visually checked the relay. Should I have checked it with a multi meter?
Beyond that I have no idea how changing the 15amp power port fuse could cause the window to quit working altogether.

thank you for taking time out of your day to read this Any help here I am eternally grateful for

Old 08-27-2022, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

The ACC relay powers the radio, cig lighter, power port outlet, etc. Does the radio work, is so the relay works.The power windows are on a different circuit.

Has happened the wiring between the driver's door and chassis break due to flexing from door moving and the result is a broken wire leading to window problems Its common..

The window wiring is different from what one would expect but still simple.

Two wires from the master switch go to each passenger door switch. In addition a purple wire runs to each passenger door switch which has 12v when the ign is on to power the windows.

The drivers master switch sends 12v power to the passenger door switch via the two wires. From the switch it goes to the motor. Moving the master switch one way or the other changes power polarity to change the rotational direction of the motor.

When the passenger switch is used to operate the window motor. The 12V+ power from the purple wire is directed through that passenger switch to one or the other wires connected to the motor. This to change the rotation of the motor. The switch also connects one of the two wires from master switch to the other wire on the motor to act a return wire for the power. Red and green wires go to the motor. Purple wire is hot wire.

One can remove the door panel to power the window motor directly. Check if power is being received from the driver and passenger door switch.

Green/white and red/blue are the wires from the master switch.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The ACC relay powers the radio, cig lighter, power port outlet, etc. Does the radio work, is so the relay works.The power windows are on a different circuit.

Has happened the wiring between the driver's door and chassis break due to flexing from door moving and the result is a broken wire leading to window problems Its common..

The window wiring is different from what one would expect but still simple.

Two wires from the master switch go to each passenger door switch. In addition a purple wire runs to each passenger door switch which has 12v when the ign is on to power the windows.

The drivers master switch sends 12v power to the passenger door switch via the two wires. From the switch it goes to the motor. Moving the master switch one way or the other changes power polarity to change the rotational direction of the motor.

When the passenger switch is used to operate the window motor. The 12V+ power from the purple wire is directed through that passenger switch to one or the other wires connected to the motor. This to change the rotation of the motor. The switch also connects one of the two wires from master switch to the other wire on the motor to act a return wire for the power. Red and green wires go to the motor. Purple wire is hot wire.

One can remove the door panel to power the window motor directly. Check if power is being received from the driver and passenger door switch.

Green/white and red/blue are the wires from the master switch.
thank you. So if I have power through the switches that would mean the issue lies inside the motor itself correct?

What if I don't have power to 1 or both switches? Where would issue be you think?

Also how did swapping out a bad fuse cause this problem to begin with?

Don't mean to ask a million questions it's that if I can learn not just how to correct the problem but the actual science of the initial cause of it I hope to gain a great understanding of the whole mechanism in order to prevent this in the future.

again thank you. Your the first one that's given any real insight and it's most appreciated.

Old 08-28-2022, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Find the red and green wires to the window motor and apply 12v DC to test the motor. If the window goes down then reverse polarity to move it up.If the other windows work then they have power.

Check for power at the green/white and red/blue at the switch at the individual window switch when that windows switch is moved at the driver’s door master switch. Moving the switch forward/back should reverse polarity.

Check for power at the purple wire of the individual window switch. Should have +12v when ign key is on to allow windows to work.

Did swapping out the bad fuse cause this problem? The power windows are on a completely different wiring circuit then the windows. Maybe just opening the driver’s door caused a wire to break or something else failed.