New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Too low

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 02:37 PM
Default Too low

I bought a 2010 to use as my pizza delivery vehicle. One of the things I don't like about it is it's too low. I'm 5'10" and I have to be mindful of how I get in and out of it. I twisted my left knee several times and now I'm in constant pain.
The vehicle has 120,000 miles, so I may need to change the struts and update some of the suspension components. I want to either add spacers to the struts to lift the body an inch or two or use some other alternative that will achieve my objective.
Has anyone dealt with this issue? What options are available to raise it so I can comfortably get in and out?

Old 10-01-2023, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Toyotanation.com in the Camry forum would have user feedback and perhaps even a sticky plus there are various YouTube videos.

From a design standpoint over the years the Camry suspension has stayed about the same thus feedback between generations can be relevant.

Two inches may be the max one can lift up the chassis via suspension changes.

One can get spacers that go under the strut mount, different strut mounts, spacers that go inside the coil spring, different springs, clamps that prevent the spring from compressing, adjustable structs (coil overs) and perhaps air bags.

Strut mount spacers might be the cheapest and it doesn't effect suspension spring operation while adjustable struts perhaps the best but more expensive. Sticking blocks into the coil or adding clamps will make the suspension stiffer. If you have the money check into adjustable struts that are designed to also add lift.

Lifting the suspension changes the drive train geometry which can lead to increased drive axle CV joint wear and may effect wheel alignment.

Old 10-01-2023, 11:32 AM

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I notice the Camry didn't change the stance over the years. One thing I didn't mention is that I deliver to trailer parks frequently and this thing bottoms out every time I go over a speed bump.

I'm aware that lifting it can change the geometry and wear out various components quickly. My main vehicle is a lifted Jeep.

I may go with spacers or coil overs. I'm not going to use clamps. I live in Alaska and driving on compacted snow tends to feel like an unmanaged dirt road. I definitely need the suspension to keep a comfy ride. However, the adjustable strut option sounds like the best way to go. I'll replace the entire suspension, then do an alignment and adjust the cantor after the ride height is increased. I can then also dump the low profile tires for some with more sidewall for additional lift. I'll measure for the correct size so it doesn't rub.

Now I need to determine what brand of struts to get.

Old 10-01-2023, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/camry/2010/

Toyotanation.com has a sticky on coil over struts to lower car which may give an indication of brand quality and ease of setup.

Old 10-01-2023, 02:13 PM

Cool, thank you