New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Twin- tipped or regular spark plugs for 1995 Camry le??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 10:12 PM
Default Twin- tipped or regular spark plugs for 1995 Camry le??

Hi forum members.
I will be changing the spark plugs on my 1995 Camry le wagon since it may help with the vibrating when stopped at a light. The new EGR vacuum modulator I added today didn't help with that...although I have only driven it around the block and maybe it needs a good freeway run to clear out any remaining debris.

The sparks and wires etc are about 9 months old and replacing those back then didn't help with the rough idling when in gear and stationary. The air filter isn't dirty after being replaced a year ago but should I replace it anyway for possible help with smoothing out?

My last mechanic broke one of the rear metal corner snap 'things' that hold the top of the air filter cover on tight. Would only having the three of them locking the air filter 'hood' possibly cause a rough idling issue.. escaping air? Seems like it would be too minor.

About new spark plugs, should I go with what Toyota recommended after adding my VIN #?

Below are the spark plugs Toyota recommends for my vehicle......

The vehicle options this part fits:
  • Production Date: 09/1991-07/1996
  • Fitting Vehicle Options: 5SFE.. SXV10.. NAP

Toyota 90919-01178 Plug, Spark

1991-1999 Toyota 9091901178
  • Part Description
    Plug, Spark
    • PK20R11
  • Part Name Code
    19100P
  • Replaced By
    90080-91180
  • Manufacturer
    Toyota.
  • ==========================================
I have read that some Camry owners swear by twin-tipped iridium spark plugs yet many others say to stick with simple Denso double platinum # PK20TR11 , or NKG iridium ones. Not sure if getting the Toyota brand will make a positive difference.
Apparently neither brand needs gapping.

One more thing please: when I sharp right turn and for the last week, there is a squealing coming from the front (possible wheel) area. I am also now hearing slight clicking from the DS front end when I turn right. Could all that be related? I'm not losing power steering fluid and it doesn't smell burned

Any suggestions please.
Thank you very much.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

The materials used to make the plug make it last longer. See link below:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...park+plug,7212

Unless the plug is defective, worn out, etc it should perform as designed. The standard Camry designated plug should last at least 60K miles.

For the clicking noise, make left and right and sharp 360 turns at low speed and listen for noises.

For squealing noises if the steering wheel is turned to the stop the power steering belt may squeal as it slips on the pulley. The belt is too loose.

Rough idle can be from air leaking into the engine intake AFTER the air filter.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:10 PM

Thank you very much for your response and link to spark plugs. Certainly much cheaper on that site.

Will need to check for air leaks again once it stops raining. Last week I sprayed soapy water over the hoses and there was no change in revs or any leak sounds or bubbles. Maybe the mechanic can do a compression check. He also suggested that replacing the PVC valve may not help much with the rough idle since there really is no extra oil consumption, or any misfire, blue smoke from the exhaust (just a little white smoke upon staring up) nor check engine light being on. Easy enough to change though.

Will check for front end clicking noises.
I appreciate your help!