Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brake light issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 04:31 AM
Default Brake light issue

Hi Everyone. I just bought a 2000 Camry V6 with a rather odd brake light issue. Previous owner hade a trailer that had a short circuit on the brakelights, so now only the middle brake light at the bottom of the rear window works. If I press the brake pedal the check brake icon illuminates on the dashboard. All three brakelights run on the same fuse wich i have checked The lightbulbs are ok i have tested them individually. Does anyone have some schematics on the brake light system? Is there any more fuseboxes than under the hood and below the steeringwheel?

Old 08-29-2022, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

The car has a brake light out monitoring system which normally illuminates an icon on the dash if a LOWER brake light is out. The system has a monitoring device located in the trunk, drivers side wall, that is wired into the LOWER brake light system. The upper brake light taps off the same wiring before his device. The device may have failed due to the trailer wiring issues. The device if bad can be bypassed to get the lower lights to work.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The car has a brake light out monitoring system which normally illuminates an icon on the dash if a LOWER brake light is out. The system has a monitoring device located in the trunk, drivers side wall, that is wired into the LOWER brake light system. The upper brake light taps off the same wiring before his device. The device may have failed due to the trailer wiring issues. The device if bad can be bypassed to get the lower lights to work.

Hi! Yeah i just fixed the problem, found the light sensor box, opened it and saw that it was burned inside. Found a thread that explained how to by pass it, just cut the green white and connect it to the green red, now my brake lights work and the dash icon does not Come up. Thank you for your answer!

Old 09-04-2022, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Nice to hear it is fixed!