Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Please teach me about rims?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Default Please teach me about rims?

Hello
I just got a new 07 LE, it has wheel covers and I need to get some rims! I haven't put rims on a car ebfore and don't know where to start. I only want to go to 17's because this is a "family" car and don't want to worry about safety in the winter etc. . .

What measurements do I need to know?

What else do I need besides rims and tires, any other pieces?

Will new rims affect handling or speedometer?

Do I need to worry about the air pressure gauge in the valve stem or do I just move it to the new rims?

Thanks
Greg

Old 06-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Default RE: Please teach me about rims?

HI,

I had 17" rims on my 07 cam now I have 18". I whats called "plus sizing" and I did a "plus 1" meaning I kept the same diameter by decrasing the tire size and increasing the rim size by 1 inch. This way I didnt effect the speedometer. I live in NH so what I'm doing is having the 18" combination for about 6 months in the summer and going back to the original size in the winter months. I guess you could get all season tires on your new rims for the winter. The only problem with that is if you plan on getting chrome rims or anything the will be affected by the salt on the roads your not going to want them on in the winter. As far as fitament on your car I would buy the rims and tires through a local dealer or garage that has knowledge of this stuff sothat you know that theyfit right. If there is a problem withthe tires or rims you can always bring it back to the dealer you bought them from.

Going from 16" to 17" should actaully give your car a little better handling. In my case going from 17-18" the ride is a little rougher but the handling is better.
My combination is 225 45 18 and the original is 215 55 17. The 225 is the width of the tire(the bigger the wider the tire), the 45 is the size of the tire wall(the smaller the thinner the wall.

As far as other pieces that should be it, most new rims come with lug nuts. The air pressure gauge can be tranferred to the new combination. What I did is leave them in the original setup and I'm living with the light in my dashboard during the summer. For new censors they are $100 dollars a piece so $400 for the car.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:19 AM

Hi ... welcome to camryforums

check this out >> http://www.tirerack.comguess it would help.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:01 PM

thanks rdblais!

I like a lot of the affordable rims on tirerack and some i saw at a local shop.

Is a cheaper rim any less safe?

Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 PM

Thats a good question. I really dont think so. If it is a well known brand I dont think I would worry about it. My American racing rims are one of the cheapest and they are great. The reason is that they are one piece and weigh more then most of your 2 piece rims.2 piece rims are more expensive because they weigh less.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 PM

ever think about going on ebay or craigslist and searching for some stock 17' rims...the quality of a oem toyota rims are high and you should be about to find a nice set for cheap...then throw the money you saved from your rims and get some good tires..