TCF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with Toyota Camry Forums? Ask. Have a suggestion to better TCF? Tell us here.

A/C woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Default A/C woes

I have a 91 Camry wagon with 172,000 miles. Runs well for all intents and purpose. Has new distributor, plugs and wires. New timing belt and water pump. A/C has been converted to R134 before I purchased the car.

Here is the problem: The A/C clutch cycles at idle. When it engages it just about stalls the motor or idle rough. It seems to put quite a load on the engine. The unit cools well when working. The A/C unit cutting out at idle creates a problem in stop and go traffic. Sight glass is realitively clear.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

The engine idle is supposed to adjust to the compressor load based on a signal sent to the ECU. Is the idle not adjusting up to compensate for the load? Or is the compressor seizing up?

You can remove the drive belt, hot wire the magnetic clutch and rotate it by hand to check.

Glass should be petty clear of bubbles once the compressor has run for a time. But even if slightly low on Freon the compressor should not draw that much more load. Is it possible there is too much Freon on the system?

Site glass should be clear when compressor is off, bubbles appear when compressor starts up, the fluid clears up of bubbles as compressor runs, when compressor shuts off bubbles reappear then glass becomes clear again.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:39 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. I have a feeling that it may be over charged. I will try checking the compressor to see how it feels. The idle compensation may also be not functioning properly. How do you check the ECU?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

In between the compressor and ECU is the AC amplifier. This starts to get complicated.

Check for too much Freon, if the amount is OK, post back will reply with more info.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:20 PM

you can't find cheaper price with quality product... better look for not too expensive and consider the brand too.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Default Full deck???

Hi Full house or is it Full Deck?

What does your response have to do with my problem?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:36 AM

Name:  rofl.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  28.0 KB

Old 07-22-2011, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The engine idle is supposed to adjust to the compressor load based on a signal sent to the ECU. Is the idle not adjusting up to compensate for the load? Or is the compressor seizing up?

You can remove the drive belt, hot wire the magnetic clutch and rotate it by hand to check.

Glass should be petty clear of bubbles once the compressor has run for a time. But even if slightly low on Freon the compressor should not draw that much more load. Is it possible there is too much Freon on the system?

Site glass should be clear when compressor is off, bubbles appear when compressor starts up, the fluid clears up of bubbles as compressor runs, when compressor shuts off bubbles reappear then glass becomes clear again.
I think you are saying right .

Old 08-29-2011, 11:44 AM
Default A/C woes

First I want to thank those who have helped me with my a/c problem. I have recharged the system and it improved the operation of the system. Ah! cold air. However, I still experience a problem with the a/c, it cuts out at idle especially when the is hot after a restart. Most of the time it functions well. I have adjusted the high idle. It is very annoying in traffic to have it blow warm. What's next?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

The idle speed should adjust to the load of compressor turning on and off.

The IAC valve is suppose to receive a signal from the A/C amplifier to increase/decrease RPM when the AC magnetic clutch is cycling on/off. If the valve is not getting a signal perhaps the amp is bad.

Have you tried cleaning the IAC valve?