DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

1991 3-sfe rebuild won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Default 1991 3-sfe rebuild won't start

Hello. I am new to the forum, and really need some help!
Firstly, I have been a mech for over 30 years, but 90% of my work has been on Hondas. (probable 100+ rebuilds) This is only my second Camry rebuild.
Ok, so I bought a 1991 Camry with a 3-sfe for $100. It ran fine and I drove it home 50 miles, but it smoked significantly at higher rpms, so I chose to rebuild it. The job was long, but smooth.
As I was tearing it down, I did make sure #1 cylinder was at TDC Both with a long screwdriver down the hole and the Balancer mark @ Zero. Once I got the timing cover and valve cover off, I carefully checked and marked where the Cam sprocket was, (took a peak thru the little hole at the top with a mirror and found a perfect match to the mark/dimple on the cam cap), as well as where the intake and exhaust cam gears matched, (there was a larger dimple on the intake gear which aligned with a smaller one on the exhaust gear), I put an etch across that spot just to be sure.
Well, I put it all together and it wont fire at all! I was triple checking everything, timing wise as I reassembled, and have checked it several times since. Everything is still aligned for #1 @ TDC.
My compression range is 180 to 190 psi
I have good spark out the wires and plugs.
Another issue that developed somehow while it sat, is now I have no fuel, (turn the key and no fuel pump sound coming from the tank... no mixture puffing out the plug holes ...I'll need help with that one too!, lol.
Injectors are clicking.
I tried spraying starting fluid into the intake thru the throttle body while turning it over...nothing, not even a sputter!
Below is a couple pics; first is of the lobe positions from front of the motor, second is from the radiator. You can see that at TDC my intake lobes have just closed and the exhaust lobes are on the way to closing. You can also see the dimples aligned. (I hand turned the motor 180 degrees from TDC and the exhaust lobes where straight down ...correct, right?

Anyway, I am stumped. Any help I can get with the no fire, AND why my pump stopped working, (I did check all the fuses under the dash and engine bay).

I know this was a long write up, but I figured the more info perhaps the faster to a solution.

Thank you, Thank You!!!

Attached Thumbnails 1991 3-sfe rebuild won't start-p1010010.jpg   1991 3-sfe rebuild won't start-p1010011.jpg   1991 3-sfe rebuild won't start-p1010013.jpg  
Old 07-19-2016, 06:29 PM

And oh, forgot to mention something that might be important. When I was done installing the new bottom end bearings, I found the crank rather hard to turn by hand. I dropped the pan again, pulled all bearing and miched them. They are identical to what came out originally. Torque specs from 3 different sources said; Main bolts to 43 psi and rod cap nuts to 36 psi. My torque wrench is new. I found the crank only tightened up when I torqued the #4 rod cap nuts, so I switched those bearings with #1; same thing. Turning the crank got easier the more I did it tho, and when I turn the key she turns over nicely like any car should.

Again, thanks for any advice on the no start and no fuel pump function!