DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

2AZFE head bolt repair - need help identifying a part

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 04:59 PM
Default 2AZFE head bolt repair - need help identifying a part

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry that fell victim to the head bolt thread problem (covered in T-SB-0015-11). It's an ambitious repair (for me), but I want to give it my best effort, for educational purposes and to expand my repair and maintenance skills.

YouTube has been a great resource and I have 7 of the 8 head bolts removed. There's one bolt (I think it's #8) that has something in the way which seems like it needs to be removed before I have full access to the bolt. I've run into dead ends trying to find the name of the part or instructions on how to remove it. I am reaching out to camryforums hoping that someone here can tell me what it is, and possibly even how to take it out. It's outlined in green in the attached picture.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Old 12-29-2019, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

If the device has a electrical plug to it, there is a camshaft timing oil control valve for the VVTi system. Valve controls VVTi.

If your going to do this job suggest going to the site below and downloading specific info for your year/model car. Its $20 for a 2 day subscription.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F

Old 01-08-2020, 06:23 PM

Thank you @toyomoho, that's exactly what I needed to know. After you gave me the name I was able to search and find instructions on how to remove the part. I appreciate your help!

For any future readers: After the 10mm bolt is removed, the oil control valve can be pried out. It can be helpful to twist it back and forth to loosen it up.