DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Oil Filter For 1999 2.2 Camry CE

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 10:54 PM
Default Oil Filter For 1999 2.2 Camry CE

Which oil filter do you guys suggest for this engine? I am running 10-30 conventional oil but after seeing what is inside the synthetic filters (silicone anti drain back valve)
I am probably going to use one of those but unsure of which brand.

I am really enjoying all of the info here on this site.

Bill

Old 04-14-2019, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

I use WIX branded black case colored filters or NAPA Gold ,which is supposed to be the same product.

If buying local (versus online) NAPA can have have great sales on NAPA branded filters!

The synthetic filters are for the longer oil/filter change period of synthetic oils. WIX XP and NAPA Platinum are are supposed to be long life filters and the same product.

There is LOT of debate of paper versus synthetic filter media filters.

Read the threads at the Bobistheoilguy site to become confused.

https://www.google.com/search?q=WIX+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

If you using synthetic oil but not going to a 10K filter change, the NAPA Gold or standard WIX black can filter should be fine.

Thought there was risk of paper media filter break down when going to longer oil change intervals and thus synthetic media is used. If you don't have long oil change intervals then synthetic media is not needed.

Most wear occurs at engine startup.

As I recall WIX black can and NAPA Gold also have the silicone drain back valve. All can filters should have a drain back valve but it may not be silicone.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:05 PM

Thank you for your reply. I plan on changing every 3,000 so, no big deal except the filter on there now at less than 3,000 miles let's the oil drain back over night so it has a dry start each morning so now I bump the key on and off a few times and then start it up. Sitting while at work is no issue just overnight. I have read of other "name brand" filters doing this same thing to folks so I wanted to get a decent one right away. I have read elsewhere that Wix was good so, thanks for that tip.

Bill