DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Parking Brake Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 06:29 PM
Default Parking Brake Won't Work

I recently did a rear brake job on my 2016 Camry, with new rotors & pads. Now the parking brake goes all the way to the floor without engaging. The shoes can't be worn out-I use it only for parking. I'm thinking that the new rotors are thinner where they engage the emergency brake? I have looked at other forums about how to adjust the emergency brake, and they don't seem to address whether to adjust the main cable or the shoes, or both. I see the little hole where you can reach the "star" wheel, but it would seem easier to remove the rotor ( I just put 'em on, so they probably won't be too rusted-in) They also don't say which direction to turn the Star Wheel. Any Help? Thanks.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

If done per a shop manual one would typically measure the ID of the drum. The OD at the middle of the shoes would then be adjusted by subtracting a specified clearance from the ID of the drum. Most people adjust the star wheel until the shoes drag on the drum when rotated then back off until they don't. Here one can apply the E-brake to get the slack out of the system and determine if more adjusting is required for clearance. This procedure sets both brake shoes within a nominal clearance setting of each other.

The final adjustment is the cable length as this will move both sets of shoes. Here Toyota may have a specified number of clicks the E-brake can move before the brake engages typically 3 to 5 clicks.

As to the direction to rotate the star wheel. Speculate My up for the drivers side and down for the passengers side. The star wheel is just a bolt and long tubed nut. Rotating the nut CW will shorten to increase shoe/drum clearance the overall length of the nut/bolt assy and CCW lengthen it and decrease clearance. Unless the star wheel assy is swapped end for end in the brake system, the tool used to rotate it will is contacting the star wheel on different sides depending on the side of the car.

Check your owners manual in case the car has automatic E-brake adjustment. Typically this involves moving the car slowing in reverse and applying the E-brake a few times.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:21 AM

Ok, so I adjusted the star wheel at the brake drums as described. I adjusted the nut at the e-brake pedal adjusting nut clockwise QUITE a bit, and the pedal seems to engage higher, instead of going all the way to the floor. Tried applying the parking brake while backing up, and it makes "brake grabbing noises", but does NOT stop the car. In forward, I can hear sounds like the shoes are contacting, but the e-brake still doesn't stop the car.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Are the shoes on both sides rubbing on the drum?

How many clicks does the e-brake pedal move before stopping?

Old 08-05-2022, 05:03 PM

The pedal gets tighter after 3 clicks, but it WILL go all the way down to the floor without stopping. Its supposed to stop? I think I have to take the RR brake apart and make sure the cable isn't broken or anything. That seems to be the side that made a weird sound. When I drive the car now, the e-brake will hold the car stopped from creeping forward in gear, of stop the car when going <5 mph, but no more.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Adjust star wheel until the brake locksAdjust star wheel until brake rotates smoothly

Standard adjustment is 8 notches

Parking brake movement is 7-10 notches

Adjust cable length at parking brake

When checking for notch movement press and release parking brake 3-4 times

Check if parking brake drags

Check is parking brake indicator comes on when brake is on