DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Shift Solenoid A-Electrical, PO753, engine light on, need feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:18 AM
Smile Shift Solenoid A-Electrical, PO753, engine light on, need feedback.

Okay, so I bought this 98 camry for $400 and being I haven't driven in over 20 years I didn't know too much about how cars work these days with a computer in it.. But I did catch up fast. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I am very mechanically inclined, I do fix computers on my own and do some electrical on TV's, mostly changing out boards or soldering capacitors and getting them going again.
Let me tell you what I've done so far to get this car up to speed, it does purr like a kitten. First thing I did was buy a new battery, then I bought a starter cause the old one was having issues. I installed it and it works great. I also installed a used fuel pump which I bought cheap online, that worked well also, My gas gauge wasn't working and replacing the pump did the job, I guess it had a bad float.
Next, I tested all the fuses on the vehicle and all tested okay. I replaced the car radio and bought an okay aftermarket with GPS and rear camera. That worked out well too. I changed the rear bumper, installed new side view mirrors for both sides, but I only connected the drivers side which works great. I also replaced all the door handles, now that wasn't too bad but the drivers side was a pain in the ***. But I got it hooked up. Last thing I did was change the transmission fluid hoping that might be the problem with the check engine light.. I only did a drain and fill, but that idiot light is still on, it's not flashing. I did clear it a couple of times but as soon as I start driving it comes back on.
Now the problem is, it can be the shift solenoid or maybe it can be the wiring harness that has a short in it, or maybe it could be the ECM,TCM. My question is if I were to change the ECM, it's possible it might take away the engine light and I can finally drive it in Automatic. Right now I had a mechanic look at it and he said to drive it manually until I get it fixed. He didn't get to do any troubleshooting on the vehicle cause when I did leave the car with him, he calls the next morning and tells me he can't find my car!!! I was like WTF??? He didn't know if it was towed, even though he says it was parked legally. He also thought it might have been stolen, and I screamed at him saying who would want to steal a 98 Camry? Maybe some youngs kids who want to go joy riding. Anyways, to make a long story short, turns out that he forgot where he had parked it, once I showed up and asked him to take me to where he parked the car, we drove around for 5 minutes and I spotted the car, it was legally parked, but not where he said he parked it. Now, would you trust someone like that to work on your car? I don't think so. But I am glad I got my car back that day.
Well, I hope this has been interesting, I would really like to know if there is anything anyone can think of to resolve this engine light issue.. Any type of input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Who trusts auto mechanics?

P0753 is trans shift solenoid No 1. The trans computer (built into the engine computer) checks the solenoid circuit for shorts and resistance outside of spec. Should be 11-15 ohm.

Check wiring to trans and any harness connections that can cause electrical issues. If OK will need to drop trans pan and check/replace solenoid. This can be done with trans in car. Location of solenoid is on drivers side closest to radiator.

The internet may have info on the trans (A140E) and solenoid location. After market solenoids are available.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+solenoid,8476