ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

2021 Power Window

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 10:14 PM
Default 2021 Power Window

Hey everyone…I did a search but came up empty.

I bought a new 2021 Toyota Camry last summer. On my way home, it was raining and I noticed when I tried to open the driver side window automatically, the window went down around 80% of the way, shook a bit then stopped. It went back up fine, but the same thing happened when I tried to open it again. I was already close to home and it was a long day so I waited to address it.

This problem continued to happen everytime it rained and never when it was dry. I eventually told the dealership about it at my 5k mile service. They blamed my window tint, which was done around six months after I noticed the problem.

They couldn’t find a problem and of course it was dry that day. They said they greased the track. The problem was cured for a while but it’s happening again a month later.

Has anybody had this happen to them? I want it resolved while it’s still under the warrantee but I’m looking for guidance so I can take another approach next time I go in there and they give me the same song and dance.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2022, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Get a spray can of silicone spray lube. The can comes with a nozzle tube to direct the spray

https://www.autozone.com/greases-and...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Walmart or auto parts stores should sell this.

Spray the window track and determine if this fixes the issue.

If fixed it might be the tint film.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:29 AM

Thanks!

So the dealership did grease the tracks. This resolved the issue for a while. The problem is back, but not as bad. It only happens when it rains and the problem existed prior to the window tint.

Based on all that, do you think it’s the window tint?

Old 06-27-2022, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Ops, failed to read the problem started before tint.

Is the car still under warranty and dealer trying to bag out of fixing the issue.

Not grease but silicone spray, Also apply spray to the window/door seal.

When the window works OK, listen to the door motor for changes in sound at the 80% open point as an indicator of binding causing the motor to work harder and sound different..

The motor has a self resetting circuit breaker that will trip if it draws too much current. Window binding can increase motor current draw to the point of tripping the breaker.

Old 06-29-2022, 04:58 AM

The vehicle is still under warranty. It is coming up on a year old with 7400 miles. The dealer is blaming the tint and they “can’t get the problem to happen when it’s in the garage”. I explained that it only happens when it’s raining.

I’m not sure what they sprayed the track with but that actually helped…it is just still happening occasionally.

At probably the 75% - 80% open mark, when using the auto open by pressing down the button then removing my finger, it shakes a tiny bit then stops leaving about 3” of window from going down. After that I can get it to go down by pressing the button again. After a few times, it’ll eventually work normally. This only problem only happens when it rains.

I can try to spray it again. Do I have to remove the door panel to do this? I’d rather have the dealer do that…I don’t want to mess around with a new vehicle. Exactly what spray do you recommend?
thanks!

Old 06-29-2022, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest you start at the bottom of the problem and work up.

Silicone or dry Teflon spray would normally be used. Suggest you read up on what is recommended a tinted window film lube. There are a HOST of lubes recommended for tinted windows on listed on the internet.

It appears the window is binding/dragging in the side channels or along the lower water seal of the door.

Perhaps the rain is increasing the friction between contact surfaces. You could experiment. Obtain a hand held pump sprayer the type used to apply cloths stain remover or such. Fill with distilled water and apply it to a small area of the window at a time. Determine if/when the window starts to bind up. Use distilled as it will not leave mineral deposits if it dries on the window surfaces. Determine if the window is starting to tilt sideways inside the track as it lowers to the bottom which can cause binding.

If you do dry the tint use a microfiber towel that doesn't scratch the tint.

Ideally one could clean the non-tinted side of the window with say vinegar to get any grim off that might be causing increased friction when in contact with water. An internet search will find products and methods to clean the tinted side. You don't want to scratch the film thus only use a micro-fiber cloth.

Take note of the window tint installation job to determine if it is thicker at the edges of the window or folds over the edge.

The internet is FULL of video's about sticking windows and cleaning tinted windows.

Most times it is not required to take off the door panel. The lube is sprayed down side of the track inside the door using the small tube that typically comes with spray can of lube.

Test the window with a spray bottle, Do your research, obtain the products, clean the windows and apply lube.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:59 AM

Sorry for bumping into an old conversation. Although I haven't personally encountered this specific problem, it might be helpful to gather some more information before your next visit to the dealership. Maybe try to document the issue with a video or take note of the exact conditions under which it occurs. This way, you'll have more evidence to support your case and ensure they understand the problem. On a side note, I wanted to share that I recently purchased the best baby car sun shades for my vehicle, and they have been a game-changer in protecting my little one from the sun's rays. So, if you're ever in the market for some sun shades, they could be a handy addition to your Camry!

Last edited by AdamBurgess; 06-02-2023 at 06:50 AM.