ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

Starts but No interior electric whatsoever

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 05:46 PM
Default Starts but No interior electric whatsoever

For a 2001 4Cyl XLE
was replacing the oil pan gasket for a friend, and when removing the exhaust manifold bolts my ratchet extension somehow grounded out on the bottom of the alternator casing and sparked.
Before starting I didn't bother unplugging the battery because i didn't think I'd be close to any live leads since, aside from moving the exhaust pipes around, I really wasn't dealing with anything near a live wire.
The terminal to the battery is on top of the alternator so still not sure what the heck i touched to make a spark -
Anyway, now nothing inside the car works. No windows, radio, or dash lights not even the odometer. But the car fires right up and idles with no problem. it won't go into gear though.
I've checked all the fuses in all three boxes (two in engine bay ((one only has relays))) and the fuse box inside the car in the drivers side dash.

My best guess is I blew a relay but i don't know a ton about that stuff - any suggestions where to start to figure this one out?

Old 05-31-2023, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Might be the 100A ALT fuse.

See link below:

Old 05-31-2023, 08:47 PM

wow- thanks, you nailed it. What I saw in there is a little weird. It's like it blew the cover off or something. Nothing that dramatic happened when i sparked it. So I clamped the terminals together and all the interior stuff worked again. Guess i gotta hit the junk yard tomorrow. Thanks again!

here's pictures of what i was looking at. it's like casing to the fuse was gone.

terminals with no casing. No idea why.

Clamped together and everything worked again.

Old 06-01-2023, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Electrical power from the battery splits off from the battery. One leg routes through the 100A fuse which also runs to the alternator and is constantly hot. The other leg runs to the ignition key and starting system. The ign key is two switches ganged together thus has two circuits.