ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

dash warning lights remain on after kee off

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Default dash warning lights remain on after kee off

I have a 1996 camry with 2.2 enging and auto trans when I turn off the ignition kee the dash warning lights remain on. the oil pressure light, tail light or head light malfunction light on bottom left, gear selector light all remain on and drain the battery. Any ideas Please!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

What else works with key off such as wipers, turn signals, heater blower, etc as on same circuit as Gauge fuse below.

Determine if brake and back up lights work OK as could be a short.

Find Gauge fuse behind drivers side ash try on far left lower dash and remove. Determine if lights go out.

Other possible sources of power if crossed wires are Dome, ign, Panel, Starter, ECU-B.

If removing Gauge fuse does not turn of lights try the above fuses.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Default problem found

I removed all fuses under dash and engine compartment with no luck, next I removed the ignition switch electrical connectors with no results. I determined it would be a short under hood, when I hooked the battery up the main relay would click so i left the battery hooked up and proceeded to wiggle all connections under hood, when I got to the plug on back of the alternator wiggled it and herd the main relay click so I removed the plug and found all the insulation on the wires in back plug for alternator was gone.
i went to the junkyard to get a plug and wires from a junk car and found that this was not a isolated incident almost all the cars in the junkyard had the same problem the alternators in the camrys are to close to the exhaust manifold and are overheating the wires and causing the insulation to break apart and wires to cross.
Thanks for the help toyomoho.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 PM

I think the problem would be on the keys, it not functioning well because I think it didn't start properly because of the key.