Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2000 Camry Stalls & Starts

Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Default 2000 Camry Stalls & Starts

I've owned this car since 2002 and the first time it just stalled at the stop light in the middle lane of a 45 mphroad. I hit the brakes, the check engine and check oil lights came on and the engine just died. I had my 3 year old in the back and we got out of the car as soon as we could. I had it towed to the Toyota service center where the technician turned the keys and it started. They ran the diagnostics and said nothing was wrong. I took it to another Toyota center and they too could not find anything wrong with it. It was running fine and then 5 months later, today, it stalled when i braked to take a left turn. I gave it a minute and tried starting it again, it stuttered and ran with a lot of noise. I turned it on and off 3 times and it started fine.
Can anyone, please tell me what could be wrong with my car? Don't want to get stalled again in the middle of a road with my daughters in the back.
Thank you.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Default RE: 2000 Camry Stalls & Starts

These types of problems take a lot of investigating. Intermittent problems are the worst to diagnose. Unless someone else in here happened to have had the exact same problem, it's likely we can't help you.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Did the check engine light come on along with all the other dash light icons when the engine quit?

The dealer should be able to obtain the code if set or a code pending. As such assume a code was not set and the light was the result of the engine stalling out.

Describe the sound after the engine started up. This is important as an engine stalling does happen, but making a lot of noise when restarting is highly unusual.

Did you notice any smoke coming out the tail pipe or smell of gas when the engine finally restarted?

Were you actually turning when the car died, was the braking more severe then normal?

Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 AM

Did the check engine light come on along with all the other dash light icons when the engine quit?
The check engine and check oil lights came on at the same time.

Describe the sound after the engine started up. This is important as an engine stalling does happen, but making a lot of noise when restarting is highly unusual.
The engine started but keptstuttering (like how a motorbike engine would sound when idling) and i could see the bonnet of the car vibrating.

Did you notice any smoke coming out the tail pipe or smell of gas when the engine finally restarted?
Not sure if i saw smoke but it did smell of gas

Were you actually turning when the car died, was the braking more severe then normal?
I was not turning butI am sureboth times, I did brake a little more severe than normal.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

The check engine light was most likely a function of the engine quitting.

It onlys dies when you hit the brakes?

4 or 6 cylinder?