Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

96' Camry Le 2.2L 4Cyl Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Question 96' Camry Le 2.2L 4Cyl Transmission Problem

Hello guys,

I'm new to these forum things so I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place. I've had my automatic Camry for about 2 years now its got 152k miles roughly on it. I was driving on the highway recently and everything was running smoothly. I came to a dead stop due to traffic and proceeded to get back up to speed when I realized that when I stepped on the gas, my rpm started to drop very slightly and I could feel the car hesitate. I know for a fact that I was in 3rd gear and it was not shifting into 4th. My Rpms were around 2k-3k but While trying to get into 4th gear it never shifted or broke 3k rpm. It gets to 1st 2nd and 3rd gear no problem, but it never shifts into 4th. The check engine light went on during my trip so I used my diagnostic tool on it.

I have a P0401 code error which has something to do with my Exhaust recirculation but I'm not so sure if this has to do with my transmission shifting.

I'm not so skilled and knowledgeable about transmissions and car repair >.< but I'm learning as more and more problems come up.

Any advice or input about my predicament is very appreciated

Thank you
~Gh0st

Old 12-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure what you are describing.

At road speeds in third gear the trans is not shifting into 4th but if you hit the gas the engine hesitates and RPM drops but trans is still in 3rd?

Elaborate in the RPM's never breaking 3K, was this because the engine was hesitating?

Could it be the engine is the problem?

This code is for insufficient exhaust gas flow in the EGR system. The exhaust gas cools the combustion gases to lower N0x. A common issue.

Could be a bad VSV, modulator or temp sensor (if the system has one), leaking vacuum hose, exhaust gas plumbing clogged with carbon, stuck closed EGR valve.

The EGR valve, VSV and temp sensor can be tested, the EGR valve cleaned if required

Read up on this code by doing a Google search.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 AM

how to do it in Google it is not clear to me?