General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Manual Tranny Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default 07 Manual Tranny Fluid Change

Hi,
I am looking for a good tutorial on how to change the tranny fluid in an 07 Camry CE 5 speed manual tranny. I would also like to know the proper fluid or what people are have luck with. I have heard that Toyota's fluid is the best and the only thing that comes close is Amsoil. Any opinions? Also, what about the differential fluid change on this model? What are the additional, if any, steps required for this? I imagine that doing both at the same time is best.
What does the dealer charge for this type of service?
Thanks for all input!

Old 12-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Transaxle has same fluid chamber for trans and diff.

Trans fill point is on side of housing, fluid level should be 0.0 to 0.20 inch below bottom of fill hole.

The drain plug is on the bottom of trans. Before draining make sure the fill port plug can be loosed and is not froze. In theory new drain and fill gaskets should be installed available at dealer or auto parts if knowing the correct size. Torque for both drain and fill plugs are 36 lb-ft. If possible use a torque wrench if you have one but if not use your best judgement but don't over tighten. If using a new gasket leakage should not be a problem.

As to fluid, the owners manual will note the recommended Toyota brand and should list the fluid specification requirements given as an APL or MT listing such as APL GL-4, GL-5, MT-1. The APL and MT explanations are listed in the link below:

API Gear Oil Specifications - oilspecifications.org

Aftermarket products meeting the specifications provided in the manual should be fine. Most oil companies also make a synthetic fluid gear lube if so desired to use just make sure it meets the fluid spec listed in the manual.

Don't know what dealer charges but given this is a standard job should be able to provide a price over the phone.