General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 won't start, half the electrical doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Default 2002 won't start, half the electrical doesn't work

2002 XLE V6

Wife reported something funny happening with the electrical on the way home. Now, when trying to start the car, the check engine light comes on and engine doesn't turn over, starter doesn't even click.
-headlights, interior lights, door locks work
-the following do not work with key in forward position: radio, AC, wipers, power seats, power windows

Battery should be good, it's less than a year old, but I haven't pulled it out to have it tested. Fuses are good.

Any ideas?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:43 PM

So I went to Autozone and bought an Actron OBD II scanner. Whatever is wrong with the car is causing it to not supply power to the OBD port in the car. The scanner will not power up or display anything. I tested the scanner on my other vehicle and it works perfectly.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 PM

i suggest you get a auto diagnostic tool to check your car,mvci toyota tis is a great diagnostic tool for toyota,
have a try.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by MrKeith
2002 XLE V6

Wife reported something funny happening with the electrical on the way home. Now, when trying to start the car, the check engine light comes on and engine doesn't turn over, starter doesn't even click.
-headlights, interior lights, door locks work
-the following do not work with key in forward position: radio, AC, wipers, power seats, power windows

Battery should be good, it's less than a year old, but I haven't pulled it out to have it tested. Fuses are good.

Any ideas?
Did you ever find out what this was mine is doing the same thing

Old 01-25-2016, 04:43 AM

unfortunately not many members come back and say they fixed the car and how

Joshua Lawson .. are they your exact symptoms... is it the same model camry

is yours no crank no start and check engine light on ?

do you have an anti theft or immobiliser system fitted..... is this an automatic

Old 01-28-2016, 03:09 AM

Half of electrical wiring not working is massive. Fuses and ground wiring at first to check.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by dirty hands
unfortunately not many members come back and say they fixed the car and how

Joshua Lawson .. are they your exact symptoms... is it the same model camry

is yours no crank no start and check engine light on ?

do you have an anti theft or immobiliser system fitted..... is this an automatic
Mine is a 2002 camry 4 cylinder my elec. Seats don't work windows don't work washer blade's don't work lights dont work radio don't work heater/AC don't work ... I do have dash light door looks dome lights .... it an automatic got stuck on ice and went from drive to reverse several times was my first automatic found out they don't like that tranny went out got the car home still started sat for a year with me going out ever other month or so letting it run bought new transmission went to start the car up and it don't click or crank the lights just go off don't want to do all the work putting new transmission in if it's not going to run the it just has the factory alarm system from Toyota

Old 02-02-2016, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

If the electrical system was OK prior to parking the car.

Check for dead battery and corroded battery terminal connections (clean them).

If the factory alarm was engaged, all electrical items would work including starter motor, but the engine would not start. The alarm prevents the engine from starting.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
If the electrical system was OK prior to parking the car.

Check for dead battery and corroded battery terminal connections (clean them).

If the factory alarm was engaged, all electrical items would work including starter motor, but the engine would not start. The alarm prevents the engine from starting.
New battery and cables are good the transmission went out then it sat could the neutral safty switch mess with the electrical