General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 2.4L no start; spark to only cylinder 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 01:01 AM
Default 2004 2.4L no start; spark to only cylinder 2

I apologize for the length of this post but I want to share everything in hopes someone might see something I missed. I've got a frustrating problem. My daughter's 2004 2.4L has been running well for years but recently it started having trouble overheating (temp rises above normal to about 3/4 on the temp gauge and then drops back to normal). I replaced the thermostat, water pump, and expansion tank in succession trying to find the problem. I tested the ETC and it's ohms readings were within range so I didn't replace it. Before replacing the radiator I decided I'd do a compression test. Each cylinder was 150-160#. Ruling out a head gasket leak I went ahead and replaced the radiator. For good measure I replaced the spark plugs as well. I tried starting it after the compression test, new plugs and new radiator and it sounded horrible and wouldn't idle. I turned it off and checked everything and then tried again but the same thing happened. After a couple more tries it simply wouldn't start.

I tested the spark at each coil pack and only cylinder 2 has a spark. I swapped coil packs and the same thing, only cylinder 2. I've check the resistance at both the crank and cam sensors and they appear to be within normal range. I am baffled. I swapped the ECM with a used ECM of the exact model (from ebay). Still won't start. Is it possible the timing chain somehow skipped a tooth during the compression test?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:55 AM
Default 2004 2.4L no start; spark to only cylinder 2

I've been dealing with my 2004 Hyundai Sonata and was doing different check up occupations; brakes, flash attachments, start loops/curl packs. In any case, I ran into an issue when I chose to flip one of the loop packs with another in light of the fact that I was getting a "Chamber 2 Failure to fire" code and was checking whether that would fix it. That day, my vehicle wound up kicking the bucket totally and it would wrench yet wouldn't start. I took it over into the shop, verified whether the curls/flash fittings would start and there was nothing. We snared the OBD scanner again and it read "Camshaft Position Sensor." The Chamber 2 discharge failure code left, however now my vehicle won't run. Is there a fuel cutoff valve or something? I've searched for one, yet investigating and glancing through my vehicle, there's nothing. I had a go at supplanting the camshaft position sensor, however without much of any result and it seems like my fuel siphon isn't running. By and large, you can hear the fuel siphon, however I can't hear anything.
snaptube vidmate

Last edited by Alpoi; 04-06-2020 at 01:47 AM.