General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Camry, AC blowing but not cold

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Default 2007 Camry, AC blowing but not cold

I have read a few threads and still not sure what the problem is. The cooling fans don't seem to be moving at all. Not sure if it is a fuse, relay, motor etc.

I'm a novice so as much detail as you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Describe what you mean by cooling fans. Fans on radiator, heater/AC blower?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:25 PM

the fan behind the grill of my car. I watched a video that called it the cooling fan so I used their terminology.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Fan operates when the AC compressor on engine engages or when coolant gets too hot.

The AC compressor pulley is always being powered by a belt. Between the pulley and compressor is an electric/magnetic clutch. When the clutch is powered the compressor is engaged. You should be able tell if the compressor is engaging by turning the AC on and watching the engine.

Typically when the compressor engages the engine RPM will drop slightly under the load plus the compressor may make a slight noise.

If the compressor is not engaging the fans on the same wiring circuit may not being engaging for this reason.

If the climate system is manual check for a blinking green light on the AC button when AC turned on. If blinking there is a problem.

The fans should come on if you let the engine idle too long as the coolant will reach the point where a switch turns the fans on.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:07 PM

The green light on the AC isn't blinking so I know its not that. It may or may not be the fan, but I am getting air, but it just isn't cold air.

After driving the car for for 30 minutes, I turned it for a moment, then back on and I wasn't seeing the fan turn. Everything was still fairly hot, but maybe not hot enough. My temperature gauge on my dashboard isn't showing it over heating so I'm thinking maybe the fans are ok and I'm just not noticing them. Any thoughts on what could be the reason for no cold air?

Old 08-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

The temp gauge is not going to move. There is a coolant temp switch that turns the fans on when coolant temp reached around 199F.

You need to determine if the fans are running when the AC compressor is running (or opposite as they are linked). With engine running and AC on high watch fans. If they never turn on (unless coolant gets to hot) would guess there is something wrong with the AC system.

The coolant fans draw air through the radiator when the car is not moving to cool the coolant. If the temp gauge never shows hot in stop and go driving, etc, the fans should be working.

One common issue with no cold air is the Freon in the AC system is too low due to a leak. If too low the AC compressor system turns off to prevent damage.

Or could be the electrical relay for the AC clutch but typically the light would be blinking.

If no fan operation when AC turned on, check Freon pressures.

The air you feel is from the heater/AC blower motor under the dash. When AC/cold air is selected, air is routed through the AC evaporator under the dash. The evaporator cools the air. If no working AC system, no cold air, but air still blows through the evaporator and this is what you feel.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:55 PM

I turned the AC on high with the engine running and I didn't see the fans turn on. Waited about 2 minutes.

Where can I check the Freon levels? I believe I checked all levels of everything easily found under the hood and they were all good. Unless Freon is a little harder to find, I think it's fine.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Checking Freon pressures is different then checking the other fluids. A pressure gauge needs to be connected to the Freon plumbing. YouTube may have videos showing how this is done or do an internet search on recharging car air conditioning Freon.