General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Camry XLE V6: All gears neutral

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Default 93 Camry XLE V6: All gears neutral

244k miles on it. Automatic.

Driven hard for several years, very little maintenance needed.

I was reversing today, up a hill, about 30 MPH. I turned around to check my speed then turned back around. Turning back around caused my arm to move, causing me to turn the steering wheel and jerk the car briefly. It was at that point that everything went neutral.

I got to the top of the hill by coasting and pulled off into the dirt. Every gear I tried was just like neutral. It sounded like it wanted to go into drive like it normally does, but I never felt it "catch" into gear. I tried all gears available to me, and nothing. Turned it off, let it sit, and tried again- nothing. Transmission fluid was good.

I've read around on the internet, and the general consensus is that the transmission is probably blown. Has anyone had this happen to them? (Not necessarily while in reverse)

I'm already looking at new Camrys just in case mine is out for the count.. I love a good Camry!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

There is a cable running between the gear selector inside the car and the trans shift lever on the trans, sometimes the cable breaks. With engine off, have someone shift gears while you watch if the lever is moving.

The lever faces the radiator. You should be able to see it and the cable from standing outside the engine compartment.

How is the fluid level?

If the cable is OK and the lever moves, with engine off and trans in park, determine if the you can push the car (meaning is the parking pawl now engaged).

This does happen but not sure if related to your sudden jerk. Might be the torque converter one way clutch or something in the valve body. Not sure if the trans is blown. The torque converter is separate from the trans and can be replaced but requires removing the trans. The valve body can be accessed with the trans in the car.

Last edited by toyomoho; 06-01-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:06 PM

Thanks for that very detailed post. I'm going to run this by my uncle tomorrow and see if we can pinpoint it based on your suggestions.

Unlike most posts you might find on the internet, I'll come back with a followup on either how it got fixed or if I dump it entirely for a new car.

Also, the transmission fluid was just fine, full where it should be.

Edit (10/01/2014): So uh it's 3 years later and .. yea. That part about coming back with a followup has popped up in my head occasionally over the years and I guess it's time for that!

It's rather lackluster, and disappointing- we never pinpointed the issue (didn't try much either) and I ended up selling the car. The end!

Last edited by trunksbomb; 10-01-2014 at 10:34 PM.