General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'94 v6 trans problems i think

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Flashing O/D light means a transmission trouble code(s) is stored.

Most likely all the solenoids are not working, the trans then defaults to a low gear which results in the sluggish acceleration you experience. Like having a stick shift stuck in 4th or 5th gear. But instead of the clutch slipping the torque converter on the auto trans does plus amplifies the torque to allow the car to move in such a low gear.

Check trans oil again, should be red or reddish not brown or black. If making a lot or starts and stops, a slipping torque converter heats the oil up to a higher temp which wears it out sooner.

Have you checked the wiring?

The trans may work OK, but is now manually shifting only due to no working solenoids. The solenoids do the job that you manually shifting the gears do via a valve body under the trans oil pan where the shift solenoids are.

Look on the side of the drivers door for a transmission model. Something like A540 or A541, A541E and post back.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:00 PM

After driving it twice using the manual shift method, I have more to report. When braking/ coming to a stop in "1" or LOW gear, the vehicle shook violently, same as braking coming to a stop in "2" gear. I pulled over and turned the car off for ten minutes. After returning to the car and cranking it, it ran just fine in "D" like there was never any problem. The next day, back to the issues at hand, I had to manual shift, but this time no shake when I come to a stop.

The driver's side door shows that the trans is a -04A/A541E

And the trans fluid is now a solid brown color. Great.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Brown fluid means worn out fluid.

If the trans functioned OK after manually shifting for a day suggest give the following a try. Drop pan and clean plus the magnets. The amount of debris in the pan will provide an indication of the condition of the trans. There will always be some debris and very small particles attached to the magnets but not a lot. Check trans intake screen for debris. The screen may be clean and not require any action. It is just a screen, like a window screen not a real filter.

An auto parts store should have the pan gasket or be able to get one and replacement screen assy if you need this also. The trans model is A541E.

The trans holds about 6 quarts, 2/3rds being in the torque converter which does not drain out with a pan drain.

To change all the fluid the best method is to disconnect the trans cooler return line at the trans that comes from the radiator and route this line into a clear or translucent container (attach a section of hose).

The return line from the cooler is generally the one on the trans housing closest to the drivers side of car.

Fill pan via filler tube with clean fluid then have helper start engine. The trans oil pump will push fluid out the disconnected line into the container. After a couple of quarts have flowed out, stop engine and refill trans then repeat the process above until fluid is clean. Reconnect line and top off fluid.

You will need at least 12 quarts of fluid to do this as all the old fluid needs to either be drained or pumped out and replaced by new. The fluid type is stamped on the dipstick. This should be Dexron II or III which has been replaced by something called ATF. Ask the autoparts store what fluid is the replacement. Read the container to make sure it is a replacement for Dexron II or III often labeled as Dexron III/Mercon ATF.

You can try doing drain and refills of the pan but the fluid will never become clean as old and new will always be mixing.

The shake may be from the trans torque converter not unlocking at low MPH do to solenoid issues. Again it is strange that all 3 solenoids are not working thus if not have done so check for wiring problems.

For more info see private message sent to you. To access go to upper right section of computer screen and look under your Screen Name then click on Your Notifications.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:37 AM

Thank you for all the help and the message. Much appreciated!
You have mentioned several times that it would be rare that all the solenoids go bad at once. So I need to check the wiring. Can I assume that there is a plastic snap connection that goes to the outside body of the trans with wiring? This is what I should check? I want to check this first before I change out the fluid.
Thanks again.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, the solenoids each have a snap connection on the outside of the trans.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 AM

I hope its not too late to get comments on this thread again. I've been too busy to deal with my Camry. I took it to a mechanic here in town and this is what he said. When I asked him about the torque converter he said the transmission needs a rebuild which will cost between $1800 and $2000. He said with the high mileage and the dark trans fluid, his best judgement is that whether or not the torque converter is locking up, the trans will still need rebuilt. I asked him about the solenoids and he said when they go bad, they take the trans with them, meaning they cause the trans to go bad when they fail. He also said you have to take the trans out to get to them, which was contrary to what I read here. Just wanted to run this by you and hear your thoughts.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

What basis did the mechanic make their diagnosis on other then mileage and fluid color?

In past posts you listed a LOT of codes, many not related to the trans. What did the mechanic say about this?

Solenoids can fail due to debris build up in fluid. But a solenoid taking out a trans on this model?

Who knows if solenoids are bad given the number of codes. Could be something like bad wiring or a bad computer.

Would start by dropping the the pan and checking for excess debris and metal on the magnets on the pan floor. Some debris is normal. If OK then flush out all the old fluid from trans. There are posts at this site on how to change ALL of the fluid, the pan only holds about 1/3, the rest in the torque converter.

Given the value of the car, $1800-2000 may be more then the car is worth.

The solenoids can be accessed by dropping the pan. Trans torque converter requires removing the trans.

If wanting another website opinion consolidate your posts and post at the Toyotanation website with all info in appropriate section.

Get another mechanics opinion based on all codes.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:51 AM

at worst fit a better second hand transmission . rather than a rebuild