General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-25-2015, 06:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Blinking Airbag Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Default Blinking Airbag Light

Looking to buy a 1999 Toyota Solara with 105,200 miles. GREAT looking car, clean inside and out. Though it's got a few minor dents and needs a little maintenance work (new power steering fluid, brakes and rotors) it otherwise runs very smoothly and quietly.

The only major issue that's keeping me from buying this car is that the airbag light on the dash keeps on flashing and doesn't go out while driving.

$4,400 was the final negotiated price. With that blinking airbag light, is it worth it?

What concerns me is passing inspection. Otherwise, I can just drive the car and simply ignore it, right? After all, it doesn't affect the safety, performance or reliability of the vehicle...or so it seems. On the other hand if or when it's something that absolutely must be repaired, who knows what to expect? Could be as cheap and simple as a $25 fix for a loose connection to a much more expensive repair that entails replacing the ENTIRE module.

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

A blinking airbag light means the airbag computer has noted a problem during self test of the system. This occurs when the the ign key is turned to ACC or ON. The airbag light should turn on with the ign key (and other dash board lights) then turn off in about 6 seconds once the self test is complete.

A few things to consider:

When the airbag light is blinking, the airbag system is off. It will not activate in an accident.

The airbag computer can be accessed to read the trouble code(s). The dealer would have a reader that plugs into the cars ODBII wiring port. There should be enhanced aftermarket code readers that third party repair shops would use to read the codes. An internet search should turn these up.

The dealer may charge $100 to have the codes read and maybe up to $300 for complete diagnostic work if the problem was not obvious. Don't know the costs for a third party shop but obviously would be cheaper.

Depending on the problem, repairs (even at a third party shop that can do the job) could range from very expensive to reasonable (but not cheap as in $25). You don't know until the codes are read.

It has happened sellers have removed the airbag(s). The light will blink of course but you may not know they are missing until you get the car to a shop.

The computer checks a wide variety of items such as airbags, airbag sensors, problem with wiring and seat belt pre-tensioners (if the car has them). Any of these could be the problem.

If you do buy the car and cannot pass inspection your stuck with repairing it. What happens if the repair is $600-1000.

The seller may have already had the codes checked and decided it would cost too much to repair.

If you have the service info and are comfortable with electrical repairs you might be able to repair the system yourself. But if not a loose plug you will need to find replacement parts. New parts are not cheap, you may need to find used ones. This will required time and effort.

One other issue is whatever the problem is, if fixed the airbag computer will need to be reset itself. Somebody or some shop will need to do this. Just replacing the problem part or reconnecting the loose wire plug will not reset the computer. This is an easy enough job but someone will need to do it and most likely want to be paid.

I would have the codes read and have someone that knows about airbag repair provide at least a ball park estimate on repair cost. If unable to do this would discount the price to assume the worst.

A potential can of worms here.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:41 PM

That was a very thorough and well-thought out analysis, Joey. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your response as this will better help me make my decision. THANK YOU!! And you're absolutely right. It's naive to think that even the simplest of repairs would cost only $25, as most shops will charge close to $100 for a simple diagnostic check.

I also checked with a few other mechanics and they assured me that the car will continue to run perfectly fine, and think that it's worth the $4,400. With a fresh inspection sticker as part of the deal, technically I wouldn't have to worry about that problem for another 2 years when the inspection has to be renewed. Plus, since I know these mechanics well, they'd be willing to overlook that problem if or when I take it to their shop for my next inspection.

I think I might just want to go with the deal....wish me luck!!

Thanks again!!

Old 04-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to help.

Good luck with your new car!