General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camry 93 auto 2.2 into 2 litre man body

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 12:48 PM
Default camry 93 auto 2.2 into 2 litre man body

Hi have a 1993 auto 2.2 engine iM thinking of transplanting into a 2 litre manual body .The reasons being i have bad rust on 93 auto body will cost 667 dollars to respay but was told rust will come back on roof in a year or two.Secondly my transmission is showing shift soleionoid problems 433 dollars to 1200 dollars to repair.I can get running camry 150000 miles around a 1000 dollars .Plus minus or those with seized motors complete for 400 to 500 dollars .The problem being i think that my engine will only work in 1993 to 1996 models am i correct .I do a lot of long distance lightish towing jewelery and clothing to festivals .Would manual be sutable .My motor was totaly redone a year ago new pistons waterjackets etc.Would i be wise getting a running 1993 to 1996 2 litre manual and just storing my engine with a lot of oil in it in my garage till 2 litre packs up then put me 2.2 in .Would flywheel be problem or must i rather keep hunting for a 1993 to 96 manual 2.2 which arescarce ..plenty auto and manual 2 litres and auto 2.2 but manual 2.2 scarce .If i got donor car would sell some parts off my car and keep some of them as spares .Any advice would be usefull as i see its a big story to convert car from auto to manual and with manual less likly to break and better fuel econ0my

Old 08-26-2018, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

As stated by you:

You have a 1993 car with a good 2.2L engine but it has body rust which will need ongoing work and auto trans issues which could be expensive. Is this body rust cosmetic or is the body rusted to the point of being dangerous?

You state there are plenty of auto and manual 2.0L, and auto 2.2L but manual 2.2L are scarce.

You can find a running Camry for $1K +/- depending on if the engine is seized.

=================================================

I can't state what the setups were for a Camry sold in SA during the years you are asking about. You might check Wikipedia for your countries Camry configurations. In the US, 1992-96 Camry are the same Generation and used a 2.2L. The 96 had changes to the ign and fuel system making using a 93 engine more difficult without swapping a lot of parts.

A 2.0L trans should swap into a 2.2L car. However the trans gearing would be different. The cars axles may also fit up differently for the 2.0L and 2.2L trans. This being to bolt on the trans rather than a slide fit into the trans.

The manual trans requires a different flywheel. Toyota however may have used the flywheel on different years/models/engines. If you can find out the flywheel part number you could search the net for the years/models/engines using the same part.

If you had a donor manual trans car. It is possible to swap parts to convert an auto car to a stick. This does require some electrical work to fool an auto cars computer to make think the car has a manual.

If you swap between 2.0L and 2.2L or vice versa you will need to change the engine computer and perhaps wiring for the engine.

======================================

Will you be doing this work or having a shop do it? Do you know anyone that works on cars as a side business on the cheap?

How long are planning to be using the car for festival work? Are you willing to spend more money up front for a car that will last longer or do you just need a car for a couple of years?

Old 01-13-2022, 11:11 PM
Default 87 Camry 2.0L auto trans bolt to 92-99 Camry 2.2 motor?

Originally Posted by toyomoho
As stated by you:

You have a 1993 car with a good 2.2L engine but it has body rust which will need ongoing work and auto trans issues which could be expensive. Is this body rust cosmetic or is the body rusted to the point of being dangerous?

You state there are plenty of auto and manual 2.0L, and auto 2.2L but manual 2.2L are scarce.

You can find a running Camry for $1K +/- depending on if the engine is seized.

=================================================

I can't state what the setups were for a Camry sold in SA during the years you are asking about. You might check Wikipedia for your countries Camry configurations. In the US, 1992-96 Camry are the same Generation and used a 2.2L. The 96 had changes to the ign and fuel system making using a 93 engine more difficult without swapping a lot of parts.

A 2.0L trans should swap into a 2.2L car. However the trans gearing would be different. The cars axles may also fit up differently for the 2.0L and 2.2L trans. This being to bolt on the trans rather than a slide fit into the trans.

The manual trans requires a different flywheel. Toyota however may have used the flywheel on different years/models/engines. If you can find out the flywheel part number you could search the net for the years/models/engines using the same part.

If you had a donor manual trans car. It is possible to swap parts to convert an auto car to a stick. This does require some electrical work to fool an auto cars computer to make think the car has a manual.

If you swap between 2.0L and 2.2L or vice versa you will need to change the engine computer and perhaps wiring for the engine.

======================================

Will you be doing this work or having a shop do it? Do you know anyone that works on cars as a side business on the cheap?

How long are planning to be using the car for festival work? Are you willing to spend more money up front for a car that will last longer or do you just need a car for a couple of years?

​​​​​DO you know if an 87 Camry 2.0L auto trans will bolt to a 92-96 Camry 2.2L motor?
or, if I put a 92-96 2.2L motor with auto trans into an 87 Camry, if the 2.2L axles would be to long?