General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Camry left headlight cannot be turned off

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Smile Camry left headlight cannot be turned off

Hi, I'm new here. Just wondering if you guys could help me with this issue I'm having.

My left headlight wouldn't go off without me turning the headlights on. When I drive, the left headlight remains on. It still stays the same even after I've locked the car. And when I try to use the left signal there will be this weird ticking noise that goes slightly faster than normal ticking sounds.

This only happens occasionally though. Most of the time when I lock the car the headlight would go back to normal. At other times, the headlight remains on and I have to try a couple of times before it would turn off.

Any idea what's going on? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Does the car have daytime running lights?

High or low beam?

Do all the lights work, headlights, taillights, brakelights?

Is the turn signal ticking noise only when the headlight is staying on?

Old 06-12-2011, 07:22 AM

Nope, no daytime running lights. Low beam, and the lights are all working fine. The ticking noise is only when I start to use the left signal.

Here, this is what it looks like:

2011-06-12200538.jpg picture by cykwang91 - Photobucket

Old 06-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure this is not the turn signal/hazard light being on and not the head light beam?

The headlight bulb contains both high and low beam filaments.

The L and R headlight bulbs have their own L and R headlight fuses. Each fuse powers both high and low filaments inside a bulb. These filaments are always powered at one terminal.

The L and R low beam filaments ground wires are connected together, same for the L and R high beam ground filaments.

The ground wiring runs to the control switch inside the car. The control switch determines the grounding of the wires, completing the circuit and turning on the appropriate filaments.

Since the L and R side high beam headlight filament ground circuits are connected, if the L high beam only filament (or low beam) did not turn off, it would mean the ground wire from this filament was broken before it connected to the R side ground wire. And that this wire was now grounded.

If the short were after the connection of L and R filaments and the wire was not broken both filaments would be on.

If the problem is the turn signal/hazard lamp, the front and rear turn signal/hazard lamps wiring is connected. If one is powered, so is the other.

Is the rear turn signal/hazard lamp also on?

What happens when you use the hazard flashers?