General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak near water pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 07:39 AM
Default Coolant leak near water pump

2014 Camry, a little over 100k. Try to replace battery and found the pink residue near water pump (see picture attached) and the reservoir is also empty (about half inch left). Did a little research and looks like it could be a faulty water pump. Wondering how much it will cost to fix this issue.

Old 09-08-2022, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

For a shop, don't know. Somewhere around $500 seems to be the ball park.

Its a standard repair and not difficult. Should be able to call around and a quote. The Toyota dealer would be highest rate.

The cost is not that great if DIY.

Old 09-08-2022, 03:10 PM
Default leaking detection

As a follow-up of my initial post: I cleaned up the residue area and found one spot with obvious rust patch. So I decided to give it a test drive to see if I can see any leaking. I drove 1.5 mile on 35 mph. Open the hood and there is already a small leaking in the rusty area (see picture). Looks like the leak I got is coming from a connection which is on the opposite side of the water pump. I did a little research but cannot find the similar issue. Can someone tell me what is the name of that leaking part/area? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-08-2022, 03:35 PM

toyomoho: Thanks for your kind reply. I talked to the dealer today and their quote is way higher than your estimation and they charge around 200 bucks for the diagnosis. I brought the car home, start to do a little more research to get a better understanding of the issue. To my surprise, I saw one leaking spot after a very short test drive right after a wipe clean of the residue (see pictures in my new post). I don't know much of the cooling system. My question: what is the name of the rusty part? Can it be repaired like replacing gasket or seal the leak hole etc? If it has to be replaced as a whole, what new part is needed for the replacement?

Last edited by LTG2022; 09-08-2022 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Appears to be the heater bypass pipe gasket is leaking. The gasket goes between the flange and housing it bolts to.

Closely inspect the area to determine if it is the gasket OR the metal pipe or housing has corroded and is leaking.

If you purchased the car used, closely inspect the area to determine if someone already tried to use sealant.

Typically the pump housing needs to be removed to access the gasket. The flanged pipe may be difficult to remove as its bolted to the engine block.

The Toyota dealer is MOST expensive place to get a car repaired. Call independent shops.

Are you handy with tools and have tools. Obtain a Haynes or Chilton published shop manual (low cost) then read up on the removing the water pump housing. The gasket is a couple of dollars.

As to using sealants if a small hole one can access to clean might have good luck. If the gasket not so much luck. You would have to encapsulate the flanged area with some kind of material and most likely it would still leak.

Old 09-09-2022, 01:37 PM

toyomoho: Thank you so much for your help and suggestions! I will take a close look around the gasket, the metal pipe and the housing to see if there is any missed spots. I have some basic tools and would love to check out the shop manual to see if I can handle myself.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:21 PM

Update: Inspired by toyomoho, I tried to replace the gasket by removing three bolts connecting the pipe to the housing and engine. It fixed the leaking issue. I also found following youtube is helpful. Thanks again toyomoho!

Last edited by LTG2022; 09-11-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Great job!

Suggest you keep checking the area for a time just in case

If you have not already done so, might pickup a repair manual at your leisure. Ebay and online used book stores sell used one at low prices.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to hear!
Good Job!!