General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential / Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 04:29 PM
Default Differential / Transmission

We have a 96 Camry LE 4 cyl. automatic with 298,000 + on the clock.
I have a question for the Differential and or Transmission for fluid drain and re-fills, are they the same unit for using ATF or both a separate unit from one another? I have a Chilton's Repair Manual that doesn't have any help, I would expect - - -No help - - - from a Haynes Manual but Chilton's having no help its a first for me, LOL

Old 06-14-2023, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Check the differential housing where the half shafts enter. If having a separate reservoir there will be a fill plug on the firewall side of the housing and a drain plug on the bottom of housing. If so make sure one can remove the fill plug before draining the reservoir as happens the fill plug can be frozen.. If no plugs there may still be a boss for one but not drilled and threaded.

Old 06-15-2023, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Check the differential housing where the half shafts enter. If having a separate reservoir there will be a fill plug on the firewall side of the housing and a drain plug on the bottom of housing. If so make sure one can remove the fill plug before draining the reservoir as happens the fill plug can be frozen.. If no plugs there may still be a boss for one but not drilled and threaded.
I'll look this weekend for them.

Old 06-19-2023, 05:56 PM

Found both Drain and Fill plugs, will be doing a drain N re-fill next weekend.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

For filling suggest a funnel with a LONG hose or some kind of hand pump as one will need to maneuver the end into the fill port and still be able to add the oil.

Its the same fill as any differentials as in fill until it runs out the fill port.

Uses the same fluid as the trans.

While at it change the power fluid. Suck it out or siphon it out and refill. Do this between drives until the fluid is clear. Uses same fluid as trans unless the cap states otherwise.

Old 06-25-2023, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
For filling suggest a funnel with a LONG hose or some kind of hand pump as one will need to maneuver the end into the fill port and still be able to add the oil.

Its the same fill as any differentials as in fill until it runs out the fill port.

Uses the same fluid as the trans.

While at it change the power fluid. Suck it out or siphon it out and refill. Do this between drives until the fluid is clear. Uses same fluid as trans unless the cap states otherwise.
Your last line does it mean - (power fluid) = Power Steering. Fluid ? if so I do it every 100,000 miles.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Power steering fluid. There is no recommended mileage change interval. If its never been changed then change it.