General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Door

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 10:03 PM
Default Fuel Door

Hello,
I have a 2011 Camry V6 XLE. The first issue is the fuel door. It appears nothing is broken, no parts are missing and the door is centered as it's supposed to be. However, when it rains or washing the car, water is getting into the fuel door at the top and then runs out the bottom of the fuel door causing mold to form on the rear quarter panel even when drying the inside as much as possible. I can't dry it every time if it rains for a few days straight or sometimes using a car wash.
This is a semi-new problem and I'm not sure why it's happening. I thought about trying a small piece of rubber on the inside fuel door to stop water from getting in but not thick enough to cause the door to stick or not open.
Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to fix it besides buying a new fuel door.
Thank you for any information.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

There should be a drain in the fuel fill housing area.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:50 PM
Default Fuel Housing

Originally Posted by toyomoho
There should be a drain in the fuel fill housing area.
There is a drain in the fuel housing area. The drain isn't plugged etc. I used to be able to go thru car washes with no problem, or the car could sit outside in a rainstorm with no issues. Then out of nowhere, too much water was getting into the fuel fill housing and caused mold on that rear quarter panel.
The only thing I can do now is clay bar the area that mold grew on and put car wax or another product on to help the water flow across the panel to help keep the mold from forming there.
Also, maybe a small rubber hose cut down the middle and attach it to the sharp edges inside the top of the fuel door to limit the amount of water getting in.

Last edited by DM11; 07-13-2021 at 10:53 PM.