General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help with a 2005 Camry --Not starting--

Old 07-09-2015, 03:09 PM
Question Help with a 2005 Camry --Not starting--

Howdy. I've got a 2005 Camry 2.4L with an automatic transmistion. Car won't start but it cranks. Got some codes being thrown:

P0010 (camshaft position 'A' Acuator circuit bank 1),
P0748 (Pressure control solenoid 'A' electrical),
P0778 (Pressure control solenoid 'B' electrical),
P2716 (Pressure control solenoid 'D' electrical).

Checked the ignition coils and all 4 are firing and sparking, sprayed some starter fluid in the throttle body and it tried to start for a second or two then died. I tried to repeat this later and didn't have the same success as the first time I attempted it. I'm also not hearing the fuel pump prime. The car has fresh oil (changed 1,500 miles ago) and it's at the right level, and the tranny fluid was changed 1,500 miles ago as well.

Additionally, I've tested the OCV by pulling it out and connecting it to 12v and its clicking like expected (cleaned it and put it back in - still won't start). I've also had the battery tested and it's fine. I pulled the camshaft sesnor and cleaned in and tested it and it tested fine.

When I tested the Crankshaft position sensor I got the ohm reading to be very high, higher than normal operation. Could this be allowing spark but also malfunctioning enough to not allow the fuel pump to prime and turn on fully?

Thank you so much! this has been a head scratcher!

Old 07-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

One code is for the VVT-i, the others are for transmission solenoids. The odds of all failing at the same time are nil.

Suspect a common ground or wiring problem. Check the ground strap between engine and chassis plus wiring for damage.

The pump will not run unless engine is cranking over or running.

What was the crank sensor ohm reading? Does the reading increase with time, meaning the reading starts out at xx ohms and starts to rise?

Old 07-10-2015, 01:41 PM

Well, the engine is defintely turning over. Should that alone be enough to articulate the fuel pump? One interesting thing to note is that when I was testing the sparkplugs, I pulled off the third coil and it started to try and stumble to life with that coil disengaged. It didn't start up completely, but it made far greater of an effort than it had been doing previously.

On the topic of the wiring or grounds being an issue... I've tried so hard to visually inspect everything and I can't find anything that looks suspect to damage. Do you have any particular advice that would point me to a certain known trouble area?

The crank sensor ohm reading was 2.15. Which is really high, right? I haven't tested to see if the crank sensor rises when turning over in realtion to it's static reading.

Thank you so much for your help with this.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Do an internet search on the 4 codes and 2AZFE to find previous posts showing where the ground points are on this engine.

P0010 is linked to a non-start. Suggest you begin here. Search internet for sites like below for detailed info:

http://highlanderclub.ru/files/manua...4h/cip0010.pdf

The crank sensor ohm reading is higher then specified and it is possible for an engine to generate a spark but still have a problem sensor. However can not state for sure it is the problem. If you have auto salvage yards in the area might try finding a used sensor at a cheap price.