General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raise ride height?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Default Raise ride height?

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a 2000 Camry for my aging Mom. The only reservation she has is her getting in and out of a sedan. I am wondering if anyone has every raised the ride height on their Camry. I don't think it needs to be raised a lot, perhaps just a couple inches to make it easier to get in and out. I imagine a combination of larger wheel and a taller spring would do the trick. I tried to search this topic but did not find any results. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Raising the chassis is not common, as such parts may not be available. There are strut spacers to life height but not sure available for Camry.

Rims and tires can raise the car slightly. The internet has various tire/rim comparers that allow input spec to obtain increased tire height PLUS increased or decreased tire width. Increase with can cause interference with the strut or outer fender.

You might consider raising the seat. There may be custom seats, factory Camry seats from upscale versions having a seat raise feature, Avalon or Lexus (ES series) which were built on Camry platform.

If thinking about strut spacers suggest consulting a chassis expert to determine any affect on handling, axle operation, alignment, etc.

A raised seat may be the easier route.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:04 PM

I can't believe I never thought of raising the seat instead!
Thanks for the obvious suggestion. I will look into this.