General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange temperature issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Cool Strange temperature issues

Hi everyone!
I'm new at this forum- I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me with what seems to be strange problem I'm having. Here are the facts.
1)I have a 2002 camry xle w 4 cylinder engine.

2)the outside temp guage (next to the clock) always reads 122f- before the engine is on and after- in the hottest and coldest whether- it always thinks its 122f outside!

3)the thermostat inside the car does not work b.c either i have to have it on the lowest temp setting and the car is FREEZING or the highest and the car is BURNING!

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this strange problem? any help would be much appreciated

Happy new year to everyone!
-Harry

Old 01-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

This car would have an "automatic" climate control system. The system would open and close a valve that controls coolant flow to the heater core inside the car. There would also be an air valve system that blends hot and cold air coming into the car to the temp setting chosen by the driver.

It could be the two problems are linked, 122F reading and inability to adjust the temp inside the car but these problems have also occurred separately.

It might be problem with the valve that controls the coolant flow to the heater core, the damper system that mixes that hot and cold air coming into the car to temp you set on the dash or something to do with the A/C system.

The doors for the damper system are moved by small electric motors that on occasion can fail or have other issues.

If you send a private message with email address I can send some troubleshooting info on the system. Unless your mechanically inclined it might be best to have a shop look at the car.

Last edited by toyomoho; 01-02-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:25 PM

Hey Joey-
Thanks A LOT for the advise. I'll send you over my email address shortly- i've just gotta run out of the house right now real quick. I just ordered the replacement part for the ambient air sensor- it cost $20 and i dont think it can hurt to try replacing that first! what do you think?
-Harry