Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Can evap go bad or leak without throwing codes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 03:12 PM
Default Can evap go bad or leak without throwing codes?

2002 Camry LE 2.4L

Noticed a pungent fuel smell from driveway (note: it could be any of 4 cars in the driveway). I moved the Camry to the street thinking it couldn't be it and to begin to eliminate possibilities. The smell remained in the area of where the Camry was previously parked and at the new location in the street. Gas cap was checked and noted a full tank of gas per the gauge. I'm told the vehicle was not overfilled. I crawled under the vehicle and notice at the center of the rear cross member was wet and black in color. I wiped it with a towel and it smelled more like kerosene than just gasoline (charcoal + gasoline?). The only components in the vicinity are the gas tank and the evap canister. There was never any drips on the ground that I could find so whatever is leaking appears slight and maybe taking place for some time with some blowback. Coincidentally, I replaced the gas cap the weekend before with a new Toyota brand. Perhaps this led to increased pressurization and uncovering an existing emissions/fuel system issue downstream? I jacked it up today and since wiping it down it doesn't smell as much as it did the previous evening. But again it hasn't been driven all weekend. As far as I could reach my hand over the top of the cross member between the evap, it didn't come back as wet or evidence of a leak. It's been cold recently so I wouldn't think expansion would be an issue or cause some valve to leak.

I hate to just replace the evap without further evidence of an actual leak, but I guess the only way to know is to tear it down. Has anyone else encountered a leak at the evap location without any diag codes being thrown? Not sure if it can still be driven if it's venting fluid and vapor. I might have to relent and take it to a mechanic.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2019, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Find out if the tank was grossly overfilled or if there is a hole in the tank.

Also has happened the steel gas fill and vent pipes for the tank corrode through and leak. This are the pipes that make up the fill system for the tank where the gas nozzle goes.

The tank has an overfill relief check valve at the top of the tank. However would assume to get fuel out of this valve would need to grossly overfill the tank well beyond when the fuel pump nozzle turned off. Then have the fuel heat up and try to work itself out of the tank.

The fuel tank and EVAP system are sealed. If fuel is leaking out then its no longer sealed.

The EVAP troubleshooting system checks for air leaks in tank and EVAP. The check system is not instantaneous but needs run checks when certain criteria are met and the test fails several times.

Most of the EVAP system is under the car in the back. Look around for a black plastic container with hoses and wires going to it. Has happened the container cracks. The container condenses any tank vapors to later be burned in the engine.

Any EVAP, tank fill and vent locations in the tank are on the top of the tank. For fuel to get here the tank would need to be grossly overfilled. .

Check for holes in the tank, gas fill and vent pipes. If the tank system is sound (not leaking) and the issue is the EVAP system, leave the gas cap loose so the tank will not pressurize. This will differently set a code.