New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

2001 Toyota Camry issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Default 2001 Toyota Camry issues

I have a couple problems with my Camry.
One, it was purchased for me by my mother at 176k miles, she drove it said it was fine. I get the car and immediately, the power steering belt slips off, and it starts sputtering and stalling at a quarter tank of gas.

Got the power steering belt fixed.
It's still stalling, and it stalls when I come to a stop or slow down, and it's become very dangerous as the car has stalled multiple times in the middle of intersections.

And now there is a rattling sound in my driver side wheel and it smells like hot metal.

My mum bought me a battery, thinking it was the problem( I kept telling her no, I think it's the alternator, I could be wrong I'm not car savvy anymore) it obviously was not. Then she bought me an air filter. Still no. Fuel cleaning system, still no.

The vehicle is now at roughly 182k . And it's an automatic.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

V6 or 4 cylinder engine?

The engine runs OK with a full tank of gas?

The alternator is on the passengers side of the engine.

Use a section of rubber hose as a stethoscope to narrow down the location of the noise.

Except for the stalling and problem idle the engine otherwise runs OK and good power?

Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 AM

Sounds like you have a bad bearing.

Could be one of the following bearings that your serpentine belt is rotating on. A bearing locking up will for sure stall your engine at low rpms.

Water Pump, Power Stearing, A/C Compressor, Alternator. I doubt it is your Crankshaft bearing.

Take the belt off, then see how all those devices spin. They should all spin very easy.

Hope this helps you.

Originally Posted by Jazz
I have a couple problems with my Camry.
One, it was purchased for me by my mother at 176k miles, she drove it said it was fine. I get the car and immediately, the power steering belt slips off, and it starts sputtering and stalling at a quarter tank of gas.

Got the power steering belt fixed.
It's still stalling, and it stalls when I come to a stop or slow down, and it's become very dangerous as the car has stalled multiple times in the middle of intersections.

And now there is a rattling sound in my driver side wheel and it smells like hot metal.

My mum bought me a battery, thinking it was the problem( I kept telling her no, I think it's the alternator, I could be wrong I'm not car savvy anymore) it obviously was not. Then she bought me an air filter. Still no. Fuel cleaning system, still no.

The vehicle is now at roughly 182k . And it's an automatic.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Last edited by umdaman; 05-21-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 PM

yep, probably the bearing... what's it's condition right now?