New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Burning smell and smokes at idle.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Default Burning smell and smokes at idle.

My Fiance owns a 2000 V6 Automatic Camry. The car runs fine, fluids check out, as of 3 weeks prior. Im new to Camrys, so if its a noob mistake i apologize. In 20 minutes I'm going to check the oil level. It could be constant, but i normally only notice this smell while sitting at idle for about 20 seconds. Just now though is the first time I've noticed smoke. Thanks for any and all help.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Tough to tell without further investigation. Would assume given your concern for fluids it might be oil and from the engine compartment location.

Valve covers leaks are common. Check for engine oil getting on the either exhaust manifold or dripping down to the exhaust pipe the routes under the engine. Make sure to check behind the engine, firewall area.

The cam and crankshaft seals can leak engine oil but this normally would not cause a smell or smoke. The fluid would would be seeping out the bottom of the timing belt cover.

The oil pump powered directly by the crankshaft and in back of the crank timing belt pulley. This seal seldom leaks but would if so would be a steady drip when engine is on.

Also check the transmission cooler hoses going to the bottom of the radiator. But would assume if leaking a oil spot would be left on the ground. Look down at the bottom of the radiator for a plastic shield and if oil or coolant is now pooling here. Doubt it is these lines.

At rare times an engine oil pressure sensor can leak, or the speed sensor (replaced the speedo cable) on top of the diff housing.

You might place cardboard under the engine then let it idle for a and check for drips.

Also check for smoke out the exhaust.

If you think it could be coolant check obviously check the radiator hoses including any hidden ones. Plus check the upper radiator tank. The tank is made of plastic and crack, resulting in small leaks.

The power steering uses the same fluid as the trans, as such it will smell the same. The seal on the pump can leak or the high pressure line.

Determine if the odor is engine or trans fluid (smell both trans and engine dip stick to compare), coolant or ?, then investigate.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 AM

I think you just smell the clutch... I smell that sometimes...