New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Device on Valve Cover Not Recognized

Old 08-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Default Device on Valve Cover Not Recognized

Hello Everyone\

I have a 1989 Toyota Camry DLX 2.5 Liter manual transmission. (non-California model)

I have a small device mounted on back valve cover with a 10mm bolt that I don't know what it's function is in order to connected it's vacuum hose (I'm assuming it is a vacuum hose) back to the proper location. It has a two pin electrical connection (which is connected), plus a small hose on it; and again, it sets on the back value cover, on passenger side of valve cover. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and now I don't know what this device is named or does - and therefore, don't know where the hose on this item should be connected. I don't see another location where I can connect this hose line.

Any help would be appreciated.
God bless

Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Does the device have only have one hose port and the one hose is connected to it? Could it have another hose port but no hose is connected?

Does it look anything like the item in the link below:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...273193&jsn=626

Old 08-17-2018, 10:02 AM

Yes this looks very much like my in question device; however, I don't have the port on the right (the vertical one). Do you have anymore information on this device, and thank you very much for this picture - I was really stumped as to what it was. (By chance, do you have any more information about what this device does, and how this device should be connected with it hoses?)

Again, thank you very much for this help,.

Sincerely
&
God bless

Old 08-17-2018, 10:35 AM
Default Should This Device Be on A 1989 Toyota Camry V6 2.5L Manual Transmission

Hello Again
I'm sorry Toyomoho but I don't really know how to use this forum, properly- so I just made another post concerning this subject.

I found this device for a 1992 2.2L L4 but I don't seem to find this device for my 1989 Toyota Camry 2.5L (or at least, I don't find it at Rockauto.com); I'm wondering if it should even be under my car's hood. Since this cover has probably leaked for years, and may have been repaired in the past, I'm wondering if someone just added a used valve cover- which had this device already on it's cover; however, my aunt gave me this car which she bought it new, and I think she only had the dealership work on this car - so I'm stumped. I think I'll try to go to the dealership here in town, now that I know the name of this device - thanks to you Toyomoho. Maybe the dealership can confirm that this device "does" belong with my engine, and maybe even show me a diagram of how it's connected properly.

Thanks Again, Toyomoho
Sincerely
&
God bless

Old 08-17-2018, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

The item appears to be a vacuum hose on/off switch (typically called a VSV). The 2 electrical terminals power a 12v solenoid that turns the valve on/off.

Have looked in the manual and found nothing accept for the fuel pressure regulator system. This system may have a device installed in the vacuum hose running to it.

The VSV is connected into a vacuum line where the vacuum operates items such as the EGR and fuel pressure regulator. The cars computer turns the valve on/off depending on set conditions to turn the item on/off.

If this device is for the engine there should be a vacuum hose port somewhere without a hose connected to it. Since the switch controls vacuum there may be a hose port going to the engine intake system that is now open. If so when engine running there will be a vacuum leak. You might be able to hear the leak with engine running. Check around the throttle body.

There should also be the chassis electrical harness plug for the device.

These devices typically have two vacuum hose ports not one.

The device can also vent a vacuum hose to atmosphere when the switch is off. Meaning the hose which no longer has vacuum to it (switch is off) is vented to atmosphere by the switch.

Look under the hood for a possible diagram of the engines vacuum system.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:24 AM

Thanks again, Toyomoho
I think this valve sets between my fuel pressure regulator and the intake manifold/plenum (vacuum port being near the cold start injector) ; however, I'm not sure. I did go to my local Toyota dealership and they pointed out that my car is actually a Toyota Camry 1990 DLX 2.5L Manual, and not a 1989 Toyota Camry according to the VIN for the car (sorry about this mistake). Yet, the dealership couldn't tell me how this valve connects, but did show me a schematic where the valve is show (on the back valve cover). I'm not positive this vacuum control valve is to assist the pressure regulator, but I'm thinking this makes more sense - when compared to my memory of disassembling these vacuum lines. I apparently bought the wrong Toyota Service Manual on ebay - I bought the 1989 Service Manual, and not the 1990; yet, the dealership said the vacuum schematic (although show), they had, didn't show how this valve was connected (maybe it would appear in the electrical schematic diagrams,, which my service manual - for the 1989 camry - doesn't show (since it, apparently wasn't on the 1989 model.) Even if I'm correct that this valve is involved with fuel pressure regulator, I still don't know which of the two ports on this valve goes to the actual fuel pressure regulator, and which goes to the vacuum port on the plenum. (I guess I need to do a little Googling on how this vacuum line operates the fuel pressure regulator, exactly - so, maybe I could diagnose which port on the valve needs to go to the fuel pressure regulator.)

Also, Rock Auto (or any other online autoparts distributor that I found from a Google search) list this valve for my particular make and model, i.e 1990 Toyota Camry 2.5L - even though the dealership does show (for the 1990 model, and not the 1989 model) this vacuum control valve being installed on my car. I do think this OEM number is the correct part for my car 9091012075, though. Here is a listing for it on https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...272327&jsn=766 .

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely
James Lacy Kamuf
&
God bless

Old 08-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Is this a Haynes manual you are using.

1989-1990 should be about the same setup.

Do you know where the fuel pressure regulator is? See link below for photos:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...regulator,6124

If you can remove the vacuum switch device, there should be a part number perhaps embellished on it. Search the internet on the part number for info.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:47 AM

I'm using the actually Toyota Service Manual- which I bought off Ebay; However, I do have the Hayes Manual, as-well- but it doesn't show how this electrical valve is connected- actually, it doesn't even show this valve, at all; the dealership told me my manual is the same one they use (except they have the 1990 manual, via on-line- which does show this valve being present, but not how it is actually connected.

Thanks for the tip of looking on the actual valve; however, I don't want to take the car apart (since it is the only form of transpiration I have- except for a motorcycle - and need it for work.) But, I will be sure that the number on the valve matches before I install the one I plan to replace it with. Again, I do think this OEM number is the correct part for my car 9091012075,. Here is a listing (once again) for it on https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...272327&jsn=766 . (The dealership told me they could no-longer order this valve, but they should be able to tell me the OEM part number- in order to verify that the previously mentioned valve at Rock Auto is the one needed.)

Thanks, again, Toyomoho, for the help.

Take Care
James Lacy Kamuf
&
God bless

Old 08-22-2018, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

The issue is the P/N provided unit has two hose connections, while you state yours has only one. There nothing on a VSV with only one hose.

Could one of the hose connections have broken off?