New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Grounding

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 09:21 PM
Default Grounding

Re: 1998 Toyota Camry.
The Battery failed. In removal of the old battery, my grandson let the cutters go wild and did a lot of cutting and now it is up to this old man to get things right. First, the battery "lugs" are not reusable since they are not very hefty. and were damaged in removal. So, I bought a universal cable with one end with a lug and the other with a flat end with a hole which I mounted to the starter. for the positive side. There was another positive wire which was connected to that old lug which provided a place to connect that wire to. The new positive cable with lug I put in is not fashioned to provide a particular place to connect that cable, so I will terminate the end of that wire with a ring tongue terminal and attach it to the bolt that tightens the lug at the battery. Easy enough for that. The problem is with the grounding from the neg battery terminal . There are two black wires which seem to be the same diameter but one has a smaller ring tongue terminal terminal . So, where do these grounds go. At one corner of the area under the plastic plate that the battery sits on there is a screw hole which bears marks that were made by a small bolt which I believe is where one of the cables was grounded, but I am concerned about what is the other end connected to. What is it grounding? I will appreciated any input.
PS. I am mechanically inclined having been a mechanic for a few years and later on a machinist but I am no good a reading schematics.

Old 09-01-2022, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

One wire runs down to the trans and bolts to a plate bracket that bolts to the trans housing. The bracket is on the top of the trans body and vertical. If you look carefully you should be able
to see it when looking down into the engine compartment. The bracket stands proud and the wire bolts to the top of it.

The other runs under the battery. Assume it bolts to the chassis.

Thus one cable for the chassis and one for the engine.

Old 09-02-2022, 01:46 PM

So, the main ground is to the transmission and yes, I understand that the other wire is grounded to the chassis under the battery but I need to know what the other end is connected to..
Thank you for the reply.

Old 09-02-2022, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Confused here.

The ground battery terminal has two wires coming off of it.

One goes to the trans and the other goes under the battery tray.