New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Removing bad window motor and regulator

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 06:00 PM
Default Removing bad window motor and regulator

New here so I hope I can get some quick help. I've searched but have not been able to find a solution to my problem. My son has a 1997 Camry with a bad drivers side window motor. It's shot I know. My problem is it's dead in the up, or closed position. This is good for rainy weather. To replace the unit, I need the window down near the bottom to remove the window screws. I may be able to unscrew them where they are, but the motor is stuck with the regulator up. How will I get it out? Will it collapse down where I can remove it from the bottom after the glass is removed? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-09-2023, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it will come down. Perhaps so much so to warrant having someone hold it or tape it in position to keep it from dropping.

Old 06-09-2023, 04:21 PM

Now are you talking about the window glass dropping down, or the regulator? I was going to tape the window to the top of the door since it's stuck in the up position. I'm just not sure if the regulator will collapse after the glass is unscrewed and removed, and the mounting screws for the regulator/electric motor is taken out. The regulator needs to collapse or fold up so I can get it out the small opening in the bottom of the door. I don't know if the stuck motor will let it fold up or keep it spread open. Does my question make sense?

Old 06-10-2023, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Window.

Youtube has video's on taping the glass up and removing the regulator.

Old 06-10-2023, 05:57 PM

I got it today. After taping the window and removing the screws, which was hard to do since they were at the top, I removed the regulator and it did collapse, letting me remove it from the bottom. Got the new one in, which was an Ebay China product, but would move the glass out of the channel at the top of the door. You can tell it's not as well built as the original one. I'm thinking of removing it all tomorrow and just swap the motors out and put the old regulator back in.

Old 06-11-2023, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

It is tough to beat the quality of the original factory parts! Thus keeping the old regulator makes sense

Old 06-11-2023, 07:08 PM

So, I ended up taking the cheap new one out. Took motor off both to do the swap, and it started. First, the gear drive on new motor had the axle sticking out about a half inch and the old regulator didn't have the hole for it to extend through, so drilled that out. Next, only two of the three mounting holes lined up so I had to cut a slot in the middle hole so it would align up. Then, the gear teeth were thicker than old one, so I had to make spacers out of washers to keep it from bottoming out. Whew, finally got it all back together and worked like a charm. All these problems were just with the window motor/regulator. I'm not getting started about the interior and exterior door handle replacements while I had the door torn down. Those videos people post makes it look so simple. Time lapse doesn't show all the problems, skinned knuckles, etc. and how to avoid those.

Old 01-09-2024, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by AChrome
New here so I hope I can get some quick help. I've searched but have not been able to find a solution to my problem. My son has a 1997 Camry with a bad drivers side window motor. It's shot I know. My problem is it's dead in the up, or closed position. This is good for rainy weather. To replace the unit, I need the window down near the bottom to remove the window screws. I may be able to unscrew them where they are, but the motor is stuck with the regulator up. How will I get it out? Will it collapse down where I can remove it from the bottom after the glass is removed? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps so much so to warrant having someone hold it or tape it in position to keep it from dropping.

Last edited by AshleyCovingto; 01-09-2024 at 12:02 PM.