New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Start up time

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Default Start up time

Hi,

I have Camry 07, V4. When i start the RPM is between 1 and 2 and after 1-2 minutes it gets down to 1 and it get quite too?

Do i need any service.

Want to know, is it normal ? and what if i start the car and start driving as some times in a hurry, any damage it can cause?

Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

A few minutes is enough time to get the fluids flowing properly, but what you are noticing is the computer telling the car to run at a higher rpm at start up. This is normal because the car has a specific optimum operating temperature.

You should only be worried if the idle doesn't drop from that point, really high idle and really low idle is a bad sign.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Idle up and then drop appears normal along with the noise then reduction once the idle drops. It may occur after every start and more linked to timed computer program then actual coolant temp.

Does the owners manual have any input on warm up?

Modern engines are supposed to require minimal warm up time, one reason is to limit smog emissions. The other is they are designed to use multi-viscosity oils having a lower cold temp weight such as 0W-30.

How long to let a car idle once started becomes a matter of someones opinion.

The colder the air temp and longer the car has state the thicker the engine and trans oil becomes. These fluids need some time to fully circulate and warm up a little.

At one extreme a car having start overnight with temps never getting below 60F may only a need a few seconds to get the oil circulating, say 20-30 seconds in the morning and less during the day. In the morning suggest driving slowly until the temp gauge needle hits the first notch on the gauge indicating the coolant is warming up.

If the car sat overnight in temps at say 10F, then suggest waiting longer. I would wait a few minutes. Then drive slowly until the coolant gauge needle is above the first notch.

Slowly means don't drive from the parking right onto the freeway.

Once the engine is fully warmed up, no need to repeat the process after fueling up, shopping, etc unless the car again sits for a long time.

One key is looking at the temp gauge, if after restarting the coolant temp gauge needle is still at or above the first notch the car should be good to go once started.

Just my opinion. Others will state needing a shorter or longer warm up, but it is your car not theirs.