ECU & Electronics Discuss electronics and related components within.

2008 Camry LE 4 cyl auto : Passenger Door Lock Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 08:52 PM
Default 2008 Camry LE 4 cyl auto : Passenger Door Lock Issues

My neighbor has a passenger door lock issue, she described it this way:

The remote key opens driver’s door on 1st click; then both back doors on 2nd click.
Front passenger door is immune to any electronic stimulus
Electric switch on driver’s door locks and unlocks all 3 doors but not the Right Front door.
I have two questions
  1. Should I do any sort of diagnosis or just take the door apart and replace the actuator assembly as described below?
  2. Are OEM parts advised, they are a lot more expensive than the non-OEM?
Thanks,
Mike

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/blog/...-failure-guide

Single Door Doesn’t Work

A single door that doesn’t work is more than likely a bad actuator. This is the motor that locks and unlocks the door. Quite often, you will have heard a “buzzing” sound or similar sound when the actuator first started to fail. Typical steps to fix the issue are:
  1. Order an OEM replacement part from an online retailer like Toyota Parts Center (us!)
  2. Remove the door panel by finding screws in the door panel and on the door handle.
  3. While removing the panel, find the electronic connection running to the power door lock and unhook it.
  4. Peel back the shroud covering the interior components.
  5. Locate the actuator and replace it with your new one.
  6. Re-install the door panel using the reverse steps.

Last edited by mscir; 10-30-2022 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Does the individual right front passenger door switch work?

Does appear to be the lock actuator.

Try Rockauto.com for the part. If you search the internet you can find a code for 5% off.

Suggest Aisin or Standard Motor Products brand however there are brands that are much cheaper available at Rockauto, Amazon, Parts Geek, etc.

Get the right model part as they are door specific such as left/right and passenger/driver.

You can test the old actuator once removed by applying 12V. The internet had videos on this.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the information. Yes the passenger door only opens with physical mechanism, nothing electrical from any source works. As you say I'll see if the owner is willing to leave the door disassembled while I test and/or replace the actuator. Ill look for a test video. Thanks for the parts url as well. Cheers!

Old 11-20-2022, 09:04 PM

How important is it to disconnect the battery + cable before doing the swap? I don't think it should matter because I don't believe power is being supplied to the window or door lock switches when the vehicle is off and no key fob button is pressed. I am concerned that the radio will need a code to activate it again in order for the user to be able to use it if the battery is disconnected, that happened on a Celica a friend of mine worked on and the dealership charges for the code. Do you happen to know if that is an issue with this vehicle, or if I need to disconnect the battery for this job?

Old 11-21-2022, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Camry radio at one time did have a code but not sure if this was discontinued for later years and or perhaps limited to a Toyota brand radio and not after market JBL brand.

If your careful you should be able to do the job with disconnecting the battery.

When poking around with the door panel off take note of any Gray wires that may be connected to the battery and have constant power. These would go to a window and or door lock switch. Power to the door lock actuator should be off if the switch or FOB is not being moved. Note removing fuses may not work as the circuits are to involved to allow this. Use plastic tools if poking around harness plugs to remove them, etc.

Old 11-21-2022, 06:58 PM
Default Great advice, thanks

I was just thinking of looking up the fuses to the windows and doors, but if you say it's not worth it I won't pursue that. As long as there isn't a lot of current flowing it seems like arcing would be very minimal, so as you say as long as no FOB or switches are being activated I think I'll be good.
Thanks!

Old 11-22-2022, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

You should be just fine! Take your time. If finding those Gray wires just remember they can be hot.

Old 11-22-2022, 05:57 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

Old 01-20-2023, 07:24 PM
Default Thanks again

Originally Posted by toyomoho
You should be just fine! Take your time. If finding those Gray wires just remember they can be hot.
Finally got the part and a break in the weather and scheduling, did the repair with the battery connected, zero problems. I appreciate the help.

Old 01-20-2023, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Great Job.

Thanks for posting back with the fix.