Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2012 Camry - Torque Converter?

Old 01-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Default 2012 Camry - Torque Converter?

Hi all,

I have a 2012 Camry SE with 82,000 miles. I have started getting a shudder when I lightly accelerate while between 30mph and 50mph.

After some research I see that there was a warranty issued to cover this problem with the torque converter. The problem describes is EXACTLY what I'm experiencing.

Here it is: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...v_KqDw&cad=rja

I took my car to my local Toyota dealership, told them what I was experiencing, and told them that I thought it was a known issue that may be covered. They took my car for a diagnostic, cam back and told me that I need to replace my entire transmission for $6,300.

I am not experiencing any other issues besides the shudder and based on the description of the known issue, I think the dealership may be trying to screw me into buying a new transmission....

Any insights?

Old 01-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

The letter is a service campaign which updates the software used to operate the trans. The shudder is the torque converter locking up. The computer controls the trans operation. It happens the above problem results in trans failure.

This is an extended warranty for this issue. See link below:

2012-2014 Camry Transmission Shudder Software Update LSC E03 w/ Warranty Extension ZE5 | TOYO Headquarters

The first part of the notice deals with service campaign. The second deals with an enhanced warranty.

Find out if your car has had the service campaign applied to your car. Plus if it qualifies for the warranty. If needed call or visit another dealer and supply the VIN.

The $6300 is most likely because the trans would be new. If needing the work, contact a shop that does trans rebuilds in house and offers a good warranty. It will not be cheap but cheaper.

Shutter is a very common issue for this trans and years. An internet search will find lots of information.