General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camry idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 PM
cdf
Default Camry idle problem

I am the original owner of a 1996 Camry, 2.2L, auto trans, w/115000 miles. Problem: with engine warm at idle, break on and trans in gear, I feel a bump -like a misfire- then the idle jumps up about 100 rpm. Frequently there is a second bump and another 100 rpm jump. After a few seconds the idle gradually returns to normal. Happens maybe once a minute or so on average - not at regular intervals. Don't notice any issues while driving, just at idle.
There are no OBD2 codes set, no check engine light. Timing is stable at 10 D BTDC. No apparent wobble in distributer. New rotor and cap. Plugs wires seem to be good (no flashes in the dark). Plugs are good - nice color. No apparent vacuum leaks (checked with guage). New timing belt at 85000 miles. New EGR valve about the same time. New air filter and the throttle body has been thoroughly cleaned. Shorting E1 and TE1 yields expected results as far as change in idle speed. Any ideas on what is causing this? Thanks. Any and all help appreciated.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

The idle speed will increase in response to the AC compressor being engaged, radiator fans turning on, power steering engaging if steering wheel is rotated, trans gear lever moved from P or N to any forward gear or reverse. Are any this occurring before the idle increases?

Old 03-02-2013, 08:53 PM
cdf

Joey P - Thanks but no, the condition occurs with the AC off, trans in drive, steering wheel still, and there is no correlation to the radiator fans turning on and off. I'm thinking it is more electrical because the problem is predictably consistent. Maybe the plug wires aren't as good as I think. Or it could be the EGR valve since that has failed before. I'll keep looking....

Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

EGR system should be off and valve closed at engine idle.

If EGR opens at idle, idle should drop due to exhaust gases being routed into the engine.

Has the IAC valve been cleaning plus throttle bore and plate?

If not instructions on these operations conduct an internet search on "cleaning 5SFE IAC valve."

Use a spray cleaner safe for plastics (IAC valve is plastic), O2/AF sensors and converters. Any auto parts store should sell this spray, don't use brake cleaner!

Old 03-28-2013, 05:59 PM
cdf

update - Well, I finally got around to doing some more work on this. I did two things. I changed the plug wires and put in a new fuel filter (what a bear!). Problem solved...no more misses, no more idle speed changes. Because I made both changes at the same time without testing in between, I can't say for sure which fix did the trick. I'd bet on the fuel filter though. First, because a miss from a bad plug wire should have pulled a service code but no codes were shown. Second, the fuel filter had never been changed, it was the original filter with 115000 miles on it. My bad, I should have changed it before now. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks to those who took the time to offer suggestions. cdf

Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 PM

hi fellow Camry owner. I am new and I don't know how to open a new thread. If you don't mind here is my q:

I am in Manila. I bought a Camry Completely Built Unit from Japan in December of 96. It has a 5s engine(from my engine number), auto tranny. I am considering replacing the engine with a turbo diesel and I heard of the 3C-T in the V40 models. I need advice if this engine will fit my Camry 96 which has a 5S engine(I suspect this is the 5S-FE) with no mod on the engine supports.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Bravokilo