General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 04:52 PM
Default Engine Replacement

I have a 2012 Camry XLE with 197,000 miles that has begun to drink oil since January. I'm told there's a known problem with the engine and a fuel consumption test is being done to determine the extent of the issue. The car has been "semi retired" while I've worked from home the past 18 months and I planned to give it to my daughter next fall to drive to college and back (approx 30 mi round trip) each day and around town. If consumption is to the point that a new engine is recommended vs. adding oil every few days, would it be ridiculous to do so? I'm trying to weigh the cost savings of replacing an engine vs. the costs of a newer car (higher insurance, finance fees, taxes etc.) The car has been maintenanced at the dealership according to schedule since I purchased it in 2013 and nothing else seems wrong with it other than cosmetic issues, which are very minor overall.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

A few questions.

What were the results of the oil consumption test?

How much oil is the engine consuming?

What is the viscosity of the oil you are currently using?

Does your state require emissions testing? It's possible excess oil consumption can shorten the life of any emissions converters and the check engine light come on. If in California you will need to replace the converter with a CARB approved one which is very expensive, if not In California converters are pretty reasonable in price..

When the daughter is going to school will they or you be able to check the oil level? It has happened these engines have ran out of oil because of excess consumption and not checking the oil regularly.

A few things to consider.

Right now used car prices can be crazy high due to increased demand. New cars can have a price premium over sticker price and be hard to find. One reason is a lack of computer chips for the cars electrical components. Check prices in your area. This is the place to start for a comparison.

How long do you plan to keep the car?

What kind of replacement engine are you considering and who will do the work. Toyota had a slew of car years and models with this engine that had oil consumption issues. Toyota does have a fix. The point being you would want an engine that is not susceptible to the same design problems as your current one.

Determine replacement car price plus sales tax, transfer fees, license tab fees vrs engine repair plus sales tax on engine (not sure if labor is taxed in your area). Most state governments have a website about car transfer costs and some will allow you to compute sales tax and other fees.

Insurance is a function of calling your agent. Guessing having a young person now driving may add to the cost..

Do you need to finance a replacement car? How about the engine work?

A brand new engine will be expensive thus realistically looking at a rebuilt or possible a used one.

A Toyota dealer is the most expensive place to get repairs. There might have been a service bulletin on this issue and extended warranty but assume the extended warranty time period and miles has expired. If you’re an ongoing Toyota dealer customer you might get a break on repairs (but don't count on it) as this is after all a Toyota design problem.

Don't have your info so can only speculate. If me I might just keep driving the old car as is. Could increase the oil viscosity to try to lower the consumption. Make sure someone checks the oil level! Worst case may be the oil consumption increases and or a converter goes bad. The cars engine already needs a rebuild plus if getting a replacement car the engine issue will affect its value if sold or traded in..

Old 07-22-2021, 11:10 AM

No emissions required in my area. Currently, my daughter is not on my policy but will be added in the spring. I wouldn't have to finance the rebuild or new engine but would need to finance a new purchase. Prices are crazy high right now on new and used vehicles. My daughter will be a commuter so checking and adding oil is not going to be a problem. I was hoping to keep the car for another 3 years for her then for as long as it will hold out as a second car for me. An around town errand car so to speak. I drive into the city daily and need a back up from time to time when ones goes in the shop for maintenance. The car is in great shape otherwise and has been maintenanced regularly. Never once has it given me even the slightest issue.

The consumption test is not yet complete. We should know next week what it's really using.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Given what you say, my two cents is to keep the car.

Perhaps try a heavier weight oil.

If no emissions testing in your and a converter fails just ignore it and keep driving. The emissions test criteria is such the check light comes on when the converter efficiency drops to something like 80%. Unless the converter plugs up you can still drive the car just fine. If it plugs up you will know it from a change in the engines performance.

Say she drives 1K miles a month for 3 years that's 36K miles on top of 197K which in total is not that much.

As to the dealer oil consumption check. Toyota issued a service bulletin on this issue. If you search the internet you should be able to find it. There are LOTS of internet threads on this oil burning issue plus at this site and sites like Toyotanation.com. The engine is a 2AZ-FE model. There may have even been a class action lawsuit for this issue. Read up on the problem.

The bulletin lists criteria for what Toyota deems excessive oil consumption. Thought it was something like over 1 quart every 1500 miles but need to check. If the consumption is lower then the set amount Toyota states its normal. If its above per the service bulletin some cars were eligible for an engine rebuild under an extended warranty. The extended warranty has a car mileage and car age limit and as such can expire.

The bottom line is this excess oil consumption issue is NOT new and has been an issue with this engine for a long time.

When you get the results of the oil consumption test post back.

Again given what you write, my opinion is to just drive the car and check the oil regularly. Take note consumption can get worse so check that oil!