General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Excessive Oil Consumption 2009 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Default Excessive Oil Consumption 2009 Camry

So, I’ll try to make this short, but it’s sort of long, so please, bare with me.
In August of 2017, I went into a Toyota dealership to have my window switch replaced (there was some sort of a recall on it). I also asked if they could look and see if I had any sort of a oil leak. They said they would do a visual check, but if they needed to do anything further, that they would call me beforehand. They called me a couple hours later saying they found a leak on my oil pan gasket. I was irritated that they didn’t call me when they said they would, but I paid the $175 for the diagnosis and told them I didn’t want them to fix it (for $600). I ended up ordering the part online with the intention of fixing it myself with the help of a friend. When the part came, my friend and I also did an oil change. There was no sort of leak on my oil pan gasket. So, I was even more pissed that they charged me for a diagnosis that I didn’t want, and it was not even the correct diagnosis. I didn’t do anything, because I don’t do well with confrontation.
Since that happened, my low oil pressure light comes on every couple of weeks or so. I finally got fed up with spending so much money on oil, so I decided to go to the dealership where I got my original diagnosis. I told them the whole story and the service advisor told me word-for-word, “I believe you that it was a misdiagnosis.”
I’ll just sum up the rest here.
1. My car was at 147,000 miles in August of 2017.
2. My car is now at 162,000 miles.
3. They’re telling me that the extended warranty doesn’t apply to my car, because I’m not over the mileage limit.
I guess I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what I can do from here. I’m so mad that they won’t fix my car, because it’s a known problem, and when they originally serviced my car, I was under the 150,000 mile limit.
Thanks in advance!

Old 10-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Is the engine a 4 cylinder? Do you buy the car new from Toyota or take the car for repairs and service at a Toyota dealer?

You went to the dealer for a window switch recall. Then you asked the dealer to investigate what about the engine? Were you needing to add oil more oil then you thought normal, was there oil on the ground, etc?

What exactly did you tell the dealer was your concern and what did the dealer write up on original service report? This possible being owner states engine is losing oil (implied owner needed to add oil), or excessive oil lose, etc?

Toyota sent out a notice (called ZE7) to select year Camry owners. This notice covered the 4-cylinder engine consumption issue and enhanced warranty. Did you get this notice?

https://www.docdroid.net/PEhBL1s/toyota-letter-ze7.pdf

http://media.fixed-ops.com/Toy_Campaigns/ze7-dlrltr.pdf

The oil consumption is a well know issue and the dealer should have known.

Toyota will only fix the oil consumption issue if the engine uses over 1 quart per 1100-1300 miles. Is your oil consumption greater then this?

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=189507

Old 11-01-2018, 04:59 PM

It is a know problem and Toyota will try not to make that repair if they can avoid it. I had 2007 with the same problem. I had to make scene at the dealership to be able to convince the dealership to make repair. Actually, I had to open dialog to Toyota Corp headquarter to get this work done.
It seems like a major repair work that they had to work on it more than a week replacing, pistons, rings... which I do not understand all the work involved.
Bad news is, even after the repair, the engine still consumes oil. It consumes less then before but annoying enough that you had to add quart of oil couple time between oil changes.
I am a Toyota repeat customer but more and more Toyota is losing my trust in their product.. Both product and dealership service. No wonder they are not selling cars like they used to. They keep this up and they will lose more and more royal customers, in my opinion.